7995 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite-UX recovery tape

Nisar Ahmad
Regular Advisor

Ignite-UX recovery tape

Hi There

I am going to do a make_tape_recovery on a system where /var/adm/crash is not on vg00. I am not sure if I should include crash or not in the recovery tape.

Thanks in advance

Nisar
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ignite-UX recovery tape

Hi:

Portions of '/var' are included by Ignite when a recovery tape is made. '/var/adm/crash' would not be one of them nor would you want it to be. This directory is designed to hold system dumps for subsequent analysis when you have a system-wide failure. There is absolutely no reason to include it on a recovery tape.

Regards!

...JRF...
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

The /var/adm/crash is a "holding" space for savecore to dump its crash dump file typically directories like core.1, core.2, etc will be created. There is no need for you to include this driectory in your recovery tape.
Nisar Ahmad
Regular Advisor

Hi James

Thanks a lot for the help.

I believe you should be able to guide me for a question regarding SOE-UX (Standard Operating Environment for HP-UX). Would you mind if I ask ? I have already asked by a separate enquiries a couple of times but haven't got answer yet as every body is replying what you mean by soe-ux.

I got a non-soeux configured 10.20 box already working in production. I need to make it soeux standard. I tried to make most of the setups but not sure how would I get /var/opt/soeux stuff. The /opt/soeux was already there.

I have read that we can copy Toolkit from the Tool Server i.e. /opt/src/soeux.10.20.a.tar to /tmp and then can install it under /opt/soeux but in my case we alraedy got /opt/soeux on the system, should I do same procedure or not ?

How we install it ? Is that ok to do " swinstall -s /tmp/soeux.10.20.a.tar \* "

Will it be save to install on a production server ?

Thanks in advance

Nisar
Juan Manuel L├│pez
Valued Contributor

This files are core dumps generated by system on case of panic or system crash.
There is no need to keep this files on any backup even on machine, so I suggest you delete this files every month ( for example ) ussing an script on crontab. Is is a easy way to free several space on your system.
I hope this help you.
Juanma.
I would like to be lie on a beautiful beach spending my life doing nothing, so someboby has to make this job.