Operating System - HP-UX
1751867 Members
5462 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite-UX tape recovery works without /opt?

Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Ignite-UX tape recovery works without /opt?

Folks,

I moved /opt to a separate vg and did not include it in the ignite tape. I doubt that the recovery will work. Your opinion?

Thanks.

Hai
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite-UX tape recovery works without /opt?

You will get what you stored on your tape. Several things will be missing when you boot up so you'll probably have to start up in single user mode and create/restore /opt. /opt is not optional for HP-UX.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
spex
Honored Contributor

If by "recovery will work" you mean restoration resulting in a bootable OS, then my guess is you will be successful. However, if by "recovery will work" you mean having all of your applications work, then I am far less optimistic.

Remember that /opt is meant to contain static software packages, many of which are actually quite useful, such as samba, java, iexpress, raid, ssh, openssl, hpws, etc. These will have to be reinstalled and reconfigured after you Ignite.

PCS
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Hai:

Define "works". Consider, that besides problems booting; and besides all the missing critical "applications" housed in '/opt'; your IPD (Installed Product Database) has information that doesn't match your server. The Ignite tape you made is worthless other than to answer an academic question. Oh, that, and you learned something! :-))

Regards!

...JRF...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

One of the principles that should always guide you when preparing for system recovery is that you should never have to ask "Will this work?". Moreover, if I were ever in that position I would not accept the word of anybody on whether or not something will work. The answer might be wrong or the question may have left out some important detail. The ONLY way to know if any recovery methodology work "work" (and only you can define "work" in this context) is to test it.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.