108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite UX to autoraid

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Kaiser
Advisor

Ignite UX to autoraid

I will be upgrading a system from an ignite tape which will be using an autoraid that I would like to keep the current lun/striping configs on the autoraid with this new system. My question is, while burning in this image to the new system, will I need to reconfigure the luns for this autoraid or will I be able to use the autoraid with the current config's and just lay over the new image ontop of the existing layout. Any insight is most appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ignite UX to autoraid

You should have to do anything on the AutoRAID.
Just do a vgexport -p -m /tmp/mymapfile so that you have a good mapfile. You can then simply do a vgexport on the new hosts.

I would also do an ioscan -C disk -fn | lp.

Man vgimport and vgexport for details.

Here's the tricky part. If you use the -s option with vgexport, the volume group ID is placed in the mapfile and you can then use the -s option with vgimport and the disk devices are scanned looking for the matching VGID. If you have stripped your lvols and use both external SCSI paths, you DON't want to use the -s option because ONLY the primary AutoRAID path will be used. Instead, you should leave off the '-s' and specify the pv_paths yourself. That way, you LUN's can use both external paths rather than having only one controller active and the other only serving as an alternate.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Eric Kaiser
Advisor

Clay, Thanks!

But one more thing. Upon igniting this box, would you recomend then just ignite the OS portion first then use either a depot for the app I want to reside on the autoraid or tar the app and directories over later after I import the map files over?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

My rule is very simple. I only use Ignite for the vg00 stuff. My goal is to get the OS with patches applied and any software installed in /opt back using Ignite. Data disks in other VG's are then imported using the traditional commands. This does assume that /opt and /usr are in vg00 - they don't have to be but life is simpler that way.