108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

Ignite UX

I am going to run a make_tape_recovery command for the first time in our new machine. The macine is an HP L1000 rp5400 running HPUX 11.0.
The machine is configured with all lvm's on vg00. What is the best options to use to get only the core elements on the ignite tape??? Points to all!

Thanx,

Carla
17 REPLIES 17
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Carla:

To archive the contents of vg00 do:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

The '-I' option will cause the recovery to be interactive should you ever boot from the tape. This will obviate the need to "pounce" on the process during the initial 10-seconds to otherwise interact with it.

Do a man 'make_tape_recovery' for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

This will create an Ignite tape of just vg00, assuming your DDS drive is /dev/rmt/0mn :

make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00

If you're running OmniBack or any other databases you'll want to bring them down while this is running.

man make_tape_recovery for details.

Good luck... Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire vg00 -x inc_entire vg01

you can pass as many -x inc_entire's as you want in order to specify all the volume groups you wish to backup.
All paths lead to destiny
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

(i forgot to put "=" (equal signs) in my statement....

-x inc_entire=vg00 etc......
All paths lead to destiny
Dario_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Carla:

You can try this:

make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire=vg00

The -x option will allow you to include different vg's.

Regards,

Dario
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

I want to back this up to a DLT drive. Is this supported?
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the make_tape_recovery man page states that all DS and DLT drives are supported.
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

Jim, we are running a Home grown Financial system that is a UNIVERSE/PICK database in both machines. We do not have to take this down in our production system, an HP 9000 H50 running HPUX 10.2 using make_recovery command. We have never had any problems with me running this during production. The test box is not in production yet, but we want to go live before month end.Is make_tape_recovery different in this manner? Will I have to run make_tape_recovery with the users off the system? Points coming very soon.

Thanx,

Carla
Carla Breuer
Frequent Advisor

Just one more thing I don't think I made clear. The vendor that configured the new machine put all my application data and logical volumes in vg00. vg00 is all there is. No vg01 or vg##. My old machine is not configured like this. On vg00 are lvol's /, /stand, /var, /uv, /usr, /tmp, /opt, /home. None of the Application data resided on vg00. All other lvols were on vg01. Is make_tape_recovery going to try to back up my application data too or is there a way to only back up the lvols I have listed here?

Thanx,

Carla