108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite Versions On Recovery Tape & DVD Media

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nelson Laracuente
Frequent Advisor

I tried your suggestion and it did not work. It takes me out to a SHELL> prompt. It needs the DVD media in. Do you have any advice?
DCE
Honored Contributor

Nelson

It should not need the DVD device. In fact my ignite restore have never asked for one.

A couple of questions
1. Are you performing the make_yape recovery without the DVD present?

2. Are you performing the interactive or the automated Ignite restore?
Redhat
Trusted Contributor

Once you created the ignite tape through make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire=vg00

on the recovery node interupt the boot sequence and from ISL promprt you need to boot the server from tape after putting the DDS recovery tape in the drive .

NO DVD media is required during making as well as recovery from ignite media.
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Unless your test server is an Itanium ( with older firmware or a missing tape entry in the menu ) there's no need at all to boot from DVD and continue to tape after that.
HP9000 and uptodate Itanium systems can boot from tape and recover right away.
If it takes you to the shell> prompt, are there any other messages on the screen besides that prompt ?
Can you attach the /var/opt/ignite/CONFIG file since the system complains about it ?
Nelson Laracuente
Frequent Advisor

DCE,
Yes, I performed the recovery without the DVD being present. I am performing the interactive restore.

Manojit Das,

You seem to be using the -A on your make recovery command and we are using -I which is for interactive. I will look up and see what the -A does. If that makes a big difference I will try it.

Marcel Burggraeve,

It is an Itanium and we purchased it not too long ago which should have the latest firmware versions. I will verify that and see if there are any new firmware updates out there. Yes, it takes me to the shell prompt but no errors after that and the recovery process stops. I went to the path of /var/opt/ignite/CONFIG and there is no such file in the system. I will check again and if I find it I will definitely attach it.

Thank you so much you guys for all the input and suggestions.

DCE
Honored Contributor

Nelson,
for some reason I did notrealize you were trying to ignite an Itanium system

A couple of questions/observations
Only the Itanium systems with the latest firmware will boot from tape (and then only some) otherwise the DVD is required.

The following thread may have some suggestions that will help
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=966125

Also, if you want, perform a search of itanium ignite on this forum and you will have several more threads that have some useful info them
Nelson Laracuente
Frequent Advisor

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I think I am going to contact HP and see if they can forward me a DVD with the most recent version of Ignite. I have been also told that this should work.
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Why not save some time and just download the latest version ?
http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB
Nelson Laracuente
Frequent Advisor

Marcel,

I have already done so. The problem is that the DVD media does not have the Ignite version. And so when I proceed to reboot and it goes to the EFI manager, I interrupt the process and go to the EFI shell. It starts reading the DVD and then I specify a few options and then the boot from tape option comes up which is what I select. I was told that if the DVD media does not have the same Ignite version as on the system that the recovery process would not happen.
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

This is a longshot but I'm wondering if the following is a coincidence.
On the make_tape_recovery you use -I for the interactive part.
During recovery you get a message about illegal character "i" in /var/opt/ignite/CONFIG.
Same letter, only difference between them is upper vs lower case ?
Just to test you could make a new tape without the -I option as you will still have something like 10 secs to interrupt the ignite process and go interactive any way.
Also wondering if that CONFIG file is just temporary during the making of an archive after which it disappears.