I have this in the makrec.append file;
** User Core OS **
Oracle product files and related directories and files
for Releases 7.3.4.5.0
product Oracle
#file /opt/image/lib/libil.1
dir /work

Error:
pax: tmp/patch/pax_test/0/1234567890/1234567890/1234567890/1234567890/1234567890/1234567890/1234567890/1234/s1 : Link name is longer than 100 chars.
WARNING: The pax command returned a non-zero exit status (exit status 1)

Anything to worry about?
Thanks, ~jdk
Dare to Dream
8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite Warning

Hi jdk,

I'd say YES.
Appears that the pax test failed.
pax is the archive mechanism Ignite uses to copy the files to tape.
So no pax - no files.
Depending on your Ignite & pax versions you may need to upgradr Ignite or patch pax.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

This is documented in the Ignite FAQ:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/faq.html#recovery-a10

"Why do I get an error from pax saying: linkname greater than 100 characters? I have PHCO_20388 installed.

This is confusing because of the ambiguous text provided in the patch. Under symptoms, it says:

1. Pax does not handle soft/hard links properly in ustar format if the file/link names have a length >= 100 characters.

The patch corrected a problem in handling link names that were >= 100 characters. These are still limited to less than 100 characters. If you have a link name that is longer, you will see the error message. Before the patch, this condition was not detected and pax would become confused. Now it is correctly flagged as an error."

Regards!

...JRF...
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

OK, the OS is 10.20, I'm using Ignite A.3.7.95, W/ phco_20388. Did I miss something?

Thanks, ~jdk
Dare to Dream
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

By the way, it appears as if the tape is being written even after the error.
~jdk
Dare to Dream
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

If I interpret this correctly, PHCO_20388 fixed it so that pax would correctly recognise this as an error. And that's what it is - an error - because pax does not handle link names that were >= 100 characters. Whatever that link is pointing to is not getting backed up.

Pete

Pete
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Hold the phone.....I need to test/check something then I'll get back to you...
Thank you ~jdk
Dare to Dream
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

When I originally ran make_tape_recovery, it returned an error about "/var/tmp/pax_test/0/and so on".
I moved the "/var/tmp/pax_test" folder to "/tmp/patch" in case it was something pax needed back.

(I guess the /var/tmp/pax_test folder and offending ensuing file-link were created during the phco_20388 install, and it didn't get removed.)

I have since removed the folder from /tmp/patch and ignite runs smoothly.

Thanks for your assistance! ~jdk
Dare to Dream
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Hello Pete,
I did not see your reply...
I believe you assessed it correctly. The link file was the only thing not being backed up. I removed it as stated. I'm not sure where it came from, as I didn't see the error until I added " -x inc_entire=vg01 " and the makrec.append changes. Could be I just missed it!

All's well now though :)
Thanks, ~jdk
Dare to Dream