108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite across different servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruce Troutman
Advisor

Ignite across different servers

If I want to ignite an image off of a G70 and boot the image onto a k580. Is it possible and what do I have to look out for.

Also, can I do the same with a D210 and boot a D220 system off of the tape?

Should I be using the golden image instead of the make tape recovery?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
LucianoCarvalho
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Ignite across different servers

hi,

You can do that, but you will can run into big trouble because of the diffrence of HW between the twoo systems.
A G70 for example, is totally different from a K570, so the addresses you will have in the image, is different the one you have in the K570 machine. So, you can do, but is likely tha it won't work.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi

As the hardware on these servers will not match it will require a lot of unpicking.

If you are just afer the OS then an install will be quicker in the long run.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If you have the latest Ignite software it should be possible. There is an option called, "clone system to a different hardware" or something like this.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The D210 to D220 should not be a problem. Thoose machines are close enough together, and in the same class, that it should work fine.

The G70 to K580 I am not so sure about.

It MIGHT work, since bot machines do have some HP-PB slots. The K does have HSC as well though and there may be some driver problems coming from a G. If you can you should make sure you have all the latest hardware patches and drivers on the G that the K may need.

When you do a recovery there is an option somewhere, I don't recall where, that allows you to specify that you are recovering to a different hardware class. When you choose this option it forces Ignite to rebuild the kernel when it is done. You DEFINITELY want to find this option when you do your G-to-K install.

Good luck.
Bruce Troutman
Advisor

Thanks, you got me on the right track
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I've had hardware issues also. I have easily been able to go from an N class to an L class but we tried going from a Superdome to a N - didn't work. We're trying to go from a Superdome to a RP7400 now. This should work and according to HP you can Ignite to "like" hardware. This was straight from a tech support person at HP. so if the hardware is similar or "close enough" you should be able to do it according to HP - you may need to add drivers or remove them but it will work
All paths lead to destiny
Jennifer Burke

I'm curious. Did you ever get this working? I'm trying to do the exact same thing.
Bruce Troutman
Advisor

The project changed for the G to K, The D classes worked no problem using the make_tape_recovery command.
Rene Mendez_4
Super Advisor

You verify this instalation with Ignite Version 4.4.30

I install ignite the Clase K en Clase D
I install ignite the K to D
Install Ignite de rp7405 to rp8400

All instalation is OK.

Regards.
Rene