New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite back of the HPUX root disk with LVM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jayaprakash Subramanian
Frequent Advisor

Ignite back of the HPUX root disk with LVM

Hello All,

I want to migrate a HP-UX server from rx4640 to BL860C. The rx server root disk is configured with LVM with 2 physical disks. I want to take the ignite back-up (make_sys_image) of that root disk and migrate the same to the new server using the ignite-ux. Can anyone suggest a rite approach to perform this task. I need to duplicate the rx servers disk to the blade server.

Thanks in Advance.

Jayaprakash S
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Consider to create a golden image, the admin guide has the how to.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Chandrahasa s
Valued Contributor
Solution

HI,

HP does not recommand restoring ignite image of rx or rp model server to blade.

Chandra

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> HP does not recommand restoring ignite image
> of rx or rp model server to blade.
really ;)

I would recommend it, if it is supported. ;)

There is a system cloning whitepaper on docs.hp.com. I would propose to read through that document to see what to do.

For the rest, the bl860c is a somewhat new architecture, so I would at least update the rx8640 OS to the march? 2010 HP-UX 11.31 core OS dvd, and take a ignite backup/golden image after this update, and do a restore attempt on the bl860c to see if it can work.

Greetz,
Chris
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Golden imaage has better chances of getting restored on a different HP Model compared to make_net archives.

regards
sujit

this can be done , although golden image is the better option as it is hardware independent but you can do it using the system cloning .

It is quite easy as the basic steps :
take the ignite backup of the server .
go to the ignite server , /var/opt/ignite/clients create a directory of the MAC address of the new server , create a link with the hostname , copy CINDEX and recover files to that directory
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The primary problem with the rx to blade restore is that there is nothing on the rx4640 to handle the LAN connections and fibre connections. Blades are too small to use I/O cards similar to the rx4640. Converting to a Golden image (including the required drivers for disk and LAN) then the restore may work OK.

You may want to consider creating a media archive, that is, a copy of the DVD. Use that source to Ignite your blade. You'll then need to add patches, applications and config files.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin