New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite backups on server which does not have local tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anand Sreenivasan
Regular Advisor

Ignite backups on server which does not have local tape

Hello,
I am trying to run make_net_recovery on 5 of my HP-UX boxes which does not have local tape drive. I am running make_net_recovery on all these servers to point to one HP server which has local tape drive. The idea , I have is to run the make_net_recovery to this Ignite HP-UX server and then run make_tape_recovery on that server. What else do I need to run on the clients except make_net_recovery. Will these work in case of Disaster... Thanks for any help in this..
4 REPLIES 4
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

As long as your ignite server is backed up, then you can restore over the network without the tape drive to the 5 HPUX servers...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Geoff's answer is perfectly correct, but it may be worth your while knowing that you can create a bootable tape from a network ignite backup. This is only really of any use if you have a spare tape drive you can attach to one of the boxes when you need to recover it.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Jayasuntar
Valued Contributor

Dear Anand,

If all your servers are PA-RISC servers, then nothing else required other than configuring ignite ux server, and periodically take make_net_recovery for the clients.

And take make_tape_recovery for ignite ux server with include_entire=vg00 option. Make sure that all your client images are there in the vg00.

If it is IA servers, then you need to use either bootpd or install_bootd method.

All the best.
Jay

Anand Sreenivasan
Regular Advisor

Thanks a lot guys for the quick response as usual. I will make sure that I will run my make_tape_recovery to include vg00. Thanks again for the help.