1751954 Members
4795 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Ignite-based install (11i) hangs in/after "os_arch_post_l" script

John Horn
Occasional Contributor

Ignite-based install (11i) hangs in/after "os_arch_post_l" script

We are doing a network Ignite from a K380 11i image to a new A500.

Since the Ignite server and the A500 are on different subnets, the A500 is booted from a recovery tape. After choosing to do an Ignite install & configuring the file system, the client machine downloads the entire archive from the Ignite server successfully.

The last message displayed comes from "/opt/ignite/data/scripts/os_arch_post_l" and says the Ignite client is running in recovery mode.

The A500 just sits/hangs in this state.

Why can't we complete the Ignite?

1 REPLY 1
IT Response
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ignite-based install (11i) hangs in/after "os_arch_post_l" script

There are a couple of supported ways to boot a client on another subnet:
1. Bootsys command from the Ignite Server.
2. Boot Helper on the clients subnet using the command "boot lan install"
3. A boot tape specifically created with the make_boot_tape command.

These are the only supported methods of using ignite to install a client. When you say you are using a recovery tape, I asssume you are referring to a make_recovery or make_tape_recovery tape. The os_arch_post_l script is designed to remove/merge specific configuration files to "clean up" a newly installed system which is inconsistent with the "recovery mode" of a make_recovery tape that is designed to put files back the way they were. You can simply edit the script directly /opt/ignite/data/scripts/os_arch_post_l or remove it from your Ignite configuration files so that it does not run.

However I would recommend that you either use a tape created with make_boot_tape or setup a boot helper.