6945 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite boot N tape on a K

Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Ignite boot N tape on a K

Hello all,

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x27a6e7613948d5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html refers to a problem booting a K's make_recovery tape on an N. I have the opposite problem: booting from an N4000's tape fails on the K570 because INSTALL isn't found on the tape. I get:

Boot
: tape ( PATH.. ) :INSTALL
tape ( PATH .. ):INSTALL : cannot open, or not executable
Exec failed : No such file or directory

I have Ignite-UX B5725AA and 11.0. The K is running 64 bits (per getconf KERNEL_BITS) so why does it look for INSTALL and not WINSTALL? Is there a work-around for this until I can install the latest Ignite and required patches?

Thanks
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
9 REPLIES 9
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

I think your talking about the ticket i opened up (i didn't look) but what i did was just trick the system to look at a different variable this work on a K because the default peramiter called for in the script returns 32/64 not the 64 that the case statement was looking for and thats why it worked, you just need to make a statement true to call the varibles for INSTALL and not WINSTALL. I will look at it and give you another answere to get what you want if you dont figure it out.
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

quick and really dirty but will work, make a copy of the /opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif file to make_medialif.orig.

vi /opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif

in that same if statement with the

$(getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS) = 64 ]]

change the 64 to 32 and this statement will fail and use the default bitness=32 setting and inturn will use the

REQUIRD_32BIT_FILES

variable, make your tape and move the .orig back into place so you dont forget but that will do it for you.

good luck
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hey Boley,

Yep, it was a couple of threads you were in that I read. Thanks for replying.

To all: I see how I can "trick" make_medialif to set bitness=32 but the primary issue is that the K is trying to boot 32 bit INSTALL kernel instead of 64 bit WINSTALL. Presuming I can interact with ISL and boot WINSTALL, does it matter whether INSTALL or WINSTALL is booted on the K? Will the installed OS be at 64 bit regardless? Thanks.
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

the 32/64 will not affect the O/S, this is just the way that make recovery decides what varible to set for the script. when you set the statement to set bitness=32 it will use the INSTALL instead of WINSTALL that is all. to check this run the getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS on a K box and it will return 32/64 but on an N box it will only return 64 like i said this is only for setting a variable.

let me know if you need more
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

just a little more claification,

when you do a getconf on a K box with 64bit os it will return 32/64 that is why the medialif file looks for that to cause the if statement to be false (reguardless of a 64 or 32 bit system), and that is why in the other thread i changed the getconf to look at KERNEL_BITS so it would return a 64 and make the if statement true.

I guess this is overkill now, any good luck
magnus linner
Advisor

If you create an Ignite tape of a N-class which only supports 64-bits OS only the WINSTALL kernel will be copied to the Ignite tape.
If you try to boot from the tape on a K-class which only supports 32-bits OS, it will fail because of missing INSTALL file wich is needed for 32-bit HW
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Finally had a revelation. I interacted with ISL specifying: hpux (;0):WINSTALL
That booted and let me start a recovery session. Whether it completes successfully is still to be determined. Thanks all.
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

i think i disagree with magnus on this, a K server will support a 64bit o/s as well as a 32 bit, that is why the getconfig HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS on a K box returns 32/64 reguardless of the O/S the only issue is what the specific server looks for between an N and a K, this is why the new make_tape_recovery has both included when it creates the LIF files on the tape. this is what i thought your question was initially. the make_medialif only puts the LIF on the tape based on what it thinks the hard ware is. ignite allows for you to create a custom make_medialif file your self, i just choose to modify the one that was already there.

however if you you were able to tell it to not look for the INSTALL but to look for WINSTALL then it doesn't matter, and this is resolved you just need the LIF to get started.

congrads!!
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Darrel
I had a very similar problem. I suspect the you need to boot to pdc level and do

hpux :WINSTALL

(NOT hpux :INSTALL!!!!)

N (& L classes) use Wide install, why I do not know (well it is 64 bit related). You can check this before booting by looking at the lif area of your boot tape on another machine
# dd if=/dev/rmt/0m bs=2k count=2048 of=/tmp/lif
# lifls -l /tmp/lif
ISL ....
:etc:
WINSTALL -12290 ....
WINSTALLFS -12290 ...
:etc:

good luck

Tim
-