5512 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite boot

Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Ignite boot

Hi
We have a ignite tape from a K380 Series machine. When we try to use this tape to boot a L series machine we get the error
tape ( PATH.. ) : WINSTALL
tape ( PATH .. ): WINSTALL : cannot open, or not executable
Exec failed : No such file or directory.

Can K series ignite used on L series Machine ?
We have the software
1. HP-UX installation utility ( Ignite-UX) B5725AA
2)HP-UX installation utilities for Installing 11.00 Systems ( Ignite-UX-11-00 )
Installed on the L series machine.

What could be the problem.

Thanks in advance
Praveen
8 REPLIES 8
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi Praveen!

You're having this problem because you made the make_recovery tape from a 32bit system (you can check it by running "getconf KERNEL_BITS") and you're trying to restore it into a 64bit environment.

from doc ID: KBRC00004669
The problem is that the correct kernel (WINSTALL) was not put
into the LIF area of the tape.

The document that describes how to put the make_net_recovery image
to tape is /opt/ignite/share/doc/makenetrec.txt. This document
explains which options are required to place the correct kernel
in the LIF area on the tape and which kernel to use. The INSTALL
kernel is for systems that can run either 32 or 64 bit Operating
Systems, the WINSTALL is used for systems that can only run 64 bit
and the VINSTALL kernel is for the V class systems.

Currently the L2000 is only capable of running a 64 bit OS. You
are unable to boot off the tape because you can't boot your 64 bit
system from a tape that has a 32 bit kernel on it.

hope this helps.
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x62abee3e323bd5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Attached is the link on the question that i asked last week, you will find some specifics about how i handled it, and was able to make it work. Please feel free to ask some specifics.
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

one quick question... can i convert ignite to use 64bit winstall
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Pavreen, Boley has already shown you the right answer.
I got this from his link:
Michael Roberts
---------------------------------
On a system that runs either 32bit or 64bit (like the Kclass) the INSTALL kernel (32bit) is put in the boot area of the tape even if the Kclass is running a 64bit vmunix (this is the behavior for make_recovery).

For make_tape_recovery the behavior was changed to put both the INSTALL and WINSTALL kernels in the boot area of the tape if the system is running a 64bit vmunix and the system is both 32bit and 64bit capable.

I didn't look at the document you are referencing, but I did look at the code and that is how it behaves. The code in question is /opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif which is called by make_recovery to create the boot lif. Niether the -a nor -o options to make_medialif are used.

Boley Janowski
---------------------------------
Michael,

I looked through that file, I noticed that it discusses 64bit and states the WINSTALL, where it sets the variable REQUIRED_64WBIT_FILES. It looks like the bitness variable is set to 32 by default, but this is changed by calling getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS, I changed this to getconf KERNEL_BITS which will make the statement true and set bitness=64w which will get the REQUIRED_64WBIT_FILES I want, I will test and let you know for sure. THANKS!!!
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Pedro,

Praveen,

Just to make it easy on you,

vi /opt/ignite/bin/make_medialif

search the file for "HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS" and
change this to "KERNEL_BITS".

save the file

run a new "make_recovery" tape, label it for an N or an L box because it will no longer work on a K box.

if your K box is not running 64bit version, getconf KERNEL_BITS will return 32 and still make the statement false, but aslong as you are this is all you need to do to make the tape bootable, and i tested it, it worked.

good luck
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone....
but I think I am screwed.... the K series machine is no longer available : o )
Now I have install the tape on another K series, take ignite and then restore on the trial L series machine.. : (((
boley janowski
Trusted Contributor

I dont have the information on how to do this exactly, you may be able to call hp and get the information. However, when you boot the L box, go into single user mode, there is supposed to be a way to tell the system to boot from tape and to look for the INSTALL instead of the WINSTALL lif files on the tape. Also when I was loading the N box it stated a prompt that said it was looking for the INSTALL first then the WINSTALL, I would try the tape you have first on the L box, if that bails I would try to get the info on how to tell a box to look for the INSTALL lif first. This little bit of effort a head of time might save you alot of grief in the long run!!

Good luck!