New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite bootable tape isn't

Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Using the DDS drive, the re-dd'ing of the LIF volume didn't make a difference.

If I create a LIF volume with AUTO (manually created), HPUX and ISL from /usr/lib/uxbootlf, WINSTALL and WINSTALLFS from install CD (no INSTALL, INSTALLFS, VINSTALL or VINSTALLFS, PAD, FWWARK# etc, it boots from both the DDS drive and the AIT drive (with different tapes obviously). If I use the WINSTALL from the Ignite recovery tape, it doesn't boot.

I've tried swremove'ing and swinstall'ing Ignite, makes no difference.
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Now it's just getting surreal ...

If I create an Ignite recovery tape on serverA on a Quantum DLS tape, dd the bootable LIF part off onto disk, rcp it across to serverB and dd it onto the DDS tape attached to serverB, then boot serverB from the DDS tape it works (i.e. boots up to the Ignite option menu)

If I create an Ignite recovery tape on serverA on its DDS tape and try and boot from it, it doesn't work! (i.e. hangs trying to load the WINSTALL kernel)

Does this make sense to anyone? Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them?

Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

OK, after a good nights sleep, the answer became a little more clear.

The J class server (the one that creates Ignite tapes that actually work) has B.3.6.82 version of Ignite on it.

The B class server (the one that creates Ignite tapes that don't work) has C.6.0.109 version on it.

I downloaded the C version, so I know where that came from. The installation CD has B.3.3.116 version on it. So I don't know where B.3.6.82 came from.

The problem appears to be with the C.6.0.109 version of Ignite running on a B class server running 11.11.

The tape drives appear to have little to do with the problem, unless C version of Ignite is somehow more concerned about them.
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

The C version of Ignite doesn't work on the B1000 that I am using. When I revert to a B version B.3.3.116, it works fine.

I don't know whether the C version is supposed to work on a B1000, in which case HP have a 'feature' in the product, or if it is unsupported in which case it would be nice if that knowledge was a little more widely publicised. Either way I'm not getting paid to sort out someone else's problem.