1753844 Members
7801 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite fails to boot due to 3rd party card

Milan Stojanovic
Occasional Advisor

Ignite fails to boot due to 3rd party card

J5600 System with Interphase 5511 PCI FDDI hangs during ignite install session with CEF2 code in the LCD front panel.

CEF2 code: HP-UX boot is about to configure the I/O system.

There is no problem igniting the system (J5600) without 5511 FDDI card. And I don't have problem igniting C360 workstations with the very same PCI based FDDI card installed.
2 REPLIES 2
Sarah Plunkett
Advisor

Re: Ignite fails to boot due to 3rd party card

Hi Milan,

Usually the reason why Ignite fails in this way is because of the lack of correct driver in INSTALLFS/WINSTALLFS (depends on your h/w). If you know what driver the card uses, then check to see if its in the kernel (INSTALLFS) in /opt/ignite/boot.

strings INSTALLFS > out.txt
grep out.txt

You don;'t say what version you are using. Are you using the same version on the C360 and the J5600? If not, this could account for the differences in result.
Milan Stojanovic
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ignite fails to boot due to 3rd party card

It looks like it has to deal with the slot number where the FDDI card is installed.
As soon as I moved the Interphase FDDI card from one slot to another I was able to boot the system off the ignite server.
I didn't have a problem to baseline the system using a s700 HP-UX10.20 image that contains Interphase FDDI PCI driver in the kernel. Before the system would panic
And the only way to work around was to take the card out, swremove the driver, and swinstall the driver.