Operating System - HP-UX
1751960 Members
4720 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite install: Hanging at bootconf

Ignite install: Hanging at bootconf

Hi,

We have a small D320 that we use as our Ignite server running 11i. It being used to roll out new builds of UX11 for a 10.20 to 11 'upgrade'.

Test building to a local D320 (through a private hub) has gone ok and now I need to build a K460.

Unfortunately when we do this build it hangs at exactly the same place each time:

Setting Primary Boot Path: 10/8.6.0

in the Load sofware portion. I have tried this three times and have also tried building my local C3000 with the same results.

I've searched through the HP site to see if it is a known problem, but nothing is coming up, so it might be something I've done (not done!)

Anybody got any ideas?

Ta
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ignite install: Hanging at bootconf

...well this is crazy!!

I managed to turn on the debug for the install (to 5!!) to check what was happening, and now the install in working?!?

I actually left my server build running over night and it still hadn't completed so I'm not sure if a lack of patience is the problem.

There are alot of messages about the instructions file, but can't find any reference to it any where in the docs. Any ideas what this file does?

TIA
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

I found that there are a couple of spots in
recoveries from pre Ignite3.3 tapes that it sits for 5 -7 minutes. Patience is good.
Take a short break and then come back.

Eileen

After some more digging, it would appear that the reason for the apparent 'hang' is that the system cannot build the kernel..

I am performing the install over FDDI, have ensured that the software is part of the build, but when it comes to building the kernel it just pushed a shell because it cannot find the FDDI drivers.

I have checked that they are installed by performing an swinstall and attempting to load them again. I can see that in /stand/system there is a reference to fddi0 and fddi3.

mk_kernel doesn't work (just returns a prompt immediately), but config does and builds a new kernel. After this, if I exit the shell, the system boot off the new kernel but lots of system config files are missing, presumably because it didn't finish some install steps after building the kernel.

Is there a way to return to the installation from here? Or does anyone know why my FDDI installation is failing?

(Apart from installing ethernet ;-) (which I'm looking into anyway))