Neil Steurs
Advisor

Ignite install / make_net_recovery restore very slow at 100BaseT

7 REPLIES 7
Neil Steurs
Advisor

Re: Ignite install / make_net_recovery restore very slow at 100BaseT

Oops - forgot to type the question!!!

Our Ignite installs / make_net_recovery restores are very slow to servers connected at 100BaseT as opposed to those connected at 10BaseT (45mins against 7 hours for a make_net_recovery restore!).

Any ideas why????

We use Ignite B3.6 and have a mixture of older (R and K 10BaseT) and newer (rp2470 / L and N 100BaseT servers)
Jannik
Honored Contributor

it is possible that u have autonegotiation set on the switch and then it default to 100HD and U run 100FD i have seen it with ignite. I usaly set it to 10HD or 100HD in the switch. Trye something like it.

BR,
Jannik
jaton
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Most likely a duplex mismatch on the 100BaseT machines. You need to set both ends (the switch and the NIC) to 100MB, Full Duplex - *no* auto negotiate! For the servers, check with lanadmin -x 0 (or what ever the instance number of your lan is - check with lanscan). If it is not 100FD, change it with lanadmin -X 100FD 0. Then edit the /etc/rc.config.d/....conf file for your NIC to set it permanently. The conf file varies according to the driver for your LAN card:

btlan hpbtlanconf
btlan0 hpeisabtconf
btlan1 hpbasetconf
btlan3 hpbase100conf
btlan4 hpgsc100conf
btlan5 hppci100conf
btlan6 hpsppci100conf

Hope this helps,
Pete

Pete
Neil Steurs
Advisor

Thanks for the reply (esp. the drivers). I have auto neg. set to off on all the switches , so I know that the speeds are either 10HD or 100FD.

However, how can I set the speed of the NIC if the server is not yet Ignite'd (ie. I am installing o/s on it)? Surely this is only set once the Ignite install is complete and the server configured/rebooted.

What I am saying, is that if I have a server (eg. A500) with an internal 10/100 card, if I Ignite it with the switch side set to 10HD its very quick, but if I Ignite it with the switch side set to 100FD its VERY slow.

Why??
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Oh, I see!!

I think in that case that you haven't loaded the 100BaseT drivers yet and you should be using 10BaseT.

Pete

Pete
Julio Cesar Perez_3

Hi Niel,

I thought that you might like to know that you can set the built-in ethernet connects in the PDC (on most machines). Usually the Lan Config option in the Configuration Menu.

Julio C??sar
Jean-Guy GROSSE
Advisor

Hello,

It's possible to force Lan configuration for your client recovery from your Ignite server. ( Ignite version >=4.x)

On server :

instl_adm -d > /tmp/change_ignite

put this line :
_hp_lanadmin_args="-X 100FD"

instl_adm -f /tmp/change_ignite

After your ignite server will try to run lanadmin command.

Good luck.