Operating System - HP-UX
1753847 Members
8508 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ignite kernel (INSTALL/VINSTALL/WINSTALL) versus normal kernel (vmunix)

Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Ignite kernel (INSTALL/VINSTALL/WINSTALL) versus normal kernel (vmunix)

What is the difference between the Ignite versions of the kernel INSTALL/VINSTALL/WINSTALL and the normal system kernel /stand/vmunix.

If I try and boot from an Ignite 'bootable' tape, it hangs loading the kernel. If I create my own bootlif, copying (from Ignites version) WINSTALLFS, HPUX, ISL, AUTO (amended slightly), but replacing WINSTALL with /stand/vmunix, the kernel loads OK, but fails as soon as it tries to activate the root VG. I've already raised a thread to work out why the Ignite 'bootable' tape doesn't actually boot, but I curious as to why the 'real' kernel gets further.
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite kernel (INSTALL/VINSTALL/WINSTALL) versus normal kernel (vmunix)

Those are the kernels that are used to install the operating system.

INSTALL = Install on a 32-bit only machine
WINSTALL = Install on a 64-bit machine
VINSTALL = Install on a V-series server.

What type of machine are you trying to boot this tape on? It is possible that the WINSTALL kernel is not compatible with this machine.
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

The m/c is a B1000 O/S version B.11.11.
I tried firstly to make_tape_recovery, which appeared to work (no errors). then I tried make_boot_tape which again appeared to work (no errors). But neither get past the kernel loading stage. When booting, the AUTO file points to INSTALL, but WINSTALL appears on the completed line. As far as I understand, WINSTALL is the correct kernel for this type of machine. All three Ignite kernels are larger than the real kernel.

Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

vmunix is the name of the kernel on all systems. Whereas INSTALL/VINSTALL/WINSTALL is the name of the ignite-ux kernel that is used for installation on different architectures.

Maybe this link from itrc would help,

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000064128875

the itrc doc id is KBRC00007035.

Hope this helps.

Regds

Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

That was an interesting article, but it doesn't explain why this B1000 won't boot from an Ignite 'bootable' tape created on the same machine, on the same tape drive.

I am interested in persuing the thought that the WINSTALL generic keren isn't as generic as it might be.

What I am also interested in is what is the difference between the generic Ignite kernel and the specific vmunix kernel from the B1000, in particular why the generic Ignote kenel seems to be capable of booting using a RAM FS (allegedly), whereas the vmunix kernel insists on trying to activate the root VG even though it was loaded from a tape with a RAM FS on it.
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

This abstract and including links below:

http://www.interex.org/conference/hpworld2002/sessions/sn039/
So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Both the articles seem to imply that only one of the kernels is put on the tape. The Ignite 'bootable' tape I've created has all three kernels on it. The articles also don't mention B class servers. I've assumed that the WINSTALL kernel is appropriate, is there any way to check that assumption?

I've lifls'd the Ignite 'bootable tape, see attached text file (to preserve formatting). Note this tape is as a result of running make_boot_tape.

Also swlist for Ignite gives

B5725AA C.6.0.109 HP-UX Installation Utilities (Ignite-UX)

Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

That's an interesting link, Cheryl, but I'm actually using a DDS drive and I'm more interested in what the difference is between an Ignite kernel such as WINSTALL and one I might generate on the server such as /stand/vmunix. Is it possible to generate an Ignite-like kernel myself?
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

To answer my own thread, yes it is possible to build an Ignote-like kernel. A simple tweak to the kernel configuration, rebuild the kernel and it works. I can now boot of a tape without using Ignite. The tape model/drive does not appear to be relevent, the version of Ignite was the reason why it wasn't working in the first place.