7276 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Ignite licenses and part numbers

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Ignite licenses and part numbers

Hi,

I need IGNITE for OS / Root disk  Data Recovery for HP-UX 11.31 and 11.23 environments.

1- Please, what are the licenses and part numbers involved for purchase?

2- Please, can we ignite to CD drives instead of to tapes?

Best regards,

Yaboto

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite licenses and part numbers

Ignite is FREE.  No purchase is required.

Ignite-UX Main page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=4077173

Ignite-UX download page:  https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB

I don't think you can run an Ignite directly to a CD/DVD drive.  I could be wrong. 

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite licenses and part numbers

>> 2- Please, can we ignite to CD drives instead of to tapes?

Not easily at all. First, a CD can never be used as it is very small (about 600 MB) so you would 10 or 15 CDs just to hold the vg00 image and the Ignite tool cannot span media. DVD isn't much better. The addressing used for an ISO image is limited to 4GB, so your actual archive (the files in vg00 compressed with gzip) must not exceed 4GB. And Ignite will not write directly to a DVD.

What you could try is to setup one of your machines as an Ignite network server with enough storage to hold all the images from the rest of your machines. Then run the make_net_recovery command on one of the clients to create a backup archive on your Ignite server. The archive file size must be less than 4GB. At that point, you could use some Ignite tools that can turn a backup archive into a bootable ISO image which you then burn to a DVD on a PC. Not very many models of HP-UX hardware support DVD burning, so it is easier to copy the ISO to a PC.

The details may get complicated if these are small machines with no external storage. A typical HP-UX archive is between 3 and 15 GB so an Ignite server would need enough space to hold at least 2 copies for each server, perhaps 20 to 100 GB of storage space.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin