1748184 Members
4053 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite not restoring correctly.

Christina Martin
Frequent Advisor

Ignite not restoring correctly.

Does anyone know why when we create an ignite tape using make_tape_recovery and then try to restore it, it does not put the file systems on the volume group back the way they originally were? We have two volume groups "vg00" & "vgajp" and use -x inc_entire=vg00 & the same for vgajp. I successfully creates the ignite, but does not lay it back down the same way. HELP!!

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Can you be more specific?

What exactly do you mean "....but does not lay it back down the same way?"
Christina Martin
Frequent Advisor

Sorry about that.

We created the "vgajp" volume group, created the logical volumes & then created the file systems. We arranged them how we wanted them layed out over three disk packs (striping)....for example..QManager at the beginning of the disk packs, tfle in the middle of the packs and open spaces at the end.

We created the ignite without any problems and then when we restored the ignite, it didn't lay the footprint back the same way...tfle is now at the bottom, the open space is at the top, etc.

We don't understand why when it is restoring, it is just laying it down the way it wants to and not what's on the tape.

Does that make more sense?
Christina Martin
Frequent Advisor

Meant to add: Doesn't lay the logical volumes back down the way they were created. The plan was to center all heavy IO to the center of the pack.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Frankly, I've been somewhat amazed that Ignite does as well as it does but then again, I only use Ignite to get back /dev/vg00; from that point I figure the job is mine and I rely on my conventional backup/restores to take me the rest of the way. You seem to be saying that Ignite is working; it's just not doing as good a job of physical data layout as you can yourself. Given that there is no assurance what the target hardware will be during the recovery (especially disks and/or disk arrays), it seems a bit unrealistic to expect identical physical layout of the data --- but that's just me.

If this really bugs you, you might consider opening a support case but my approach would be to just do vg00 with Ignite and then jump in via scripts to build all the remaining VG's just as you want them.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Ignite/UX cannot figure out what you did when you striped the disks. The size of the stripes, the number of disks involved, all would have to be reversed-engineered by looking at each lvol...an almost impossible task to do reliably. The main reason is that LVM will allow you to stripe things very differently on different lvols, and later, someone may have come along and done some pvmove commands for whatever reason.

So in the simplest form, make_tape_recovery, then restore, striping and mirroring are not done due to the number of decisions that have to be made. Now you can certainly create a custom install script to handle the mirrors and striping, or you can interact during the restore steps to mirror and stripe the disks. But as an automatic feature, there is no way to create the exact same layout.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin