New Discussion юеВ

Ignite recovery error mounts under /etc not allowed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brad Marshall_2
Frequent Advisor

Ignite recovery error mounts under /etc not allowed

Hi

This topic was discussed in an earlier forum, but the end result did not come out.

My 11.11 HP-UX ignite version C.6.1.44 is erroring out because i have a specific mount point under /etc/ actually /etc/lvmconf.

My / was filling up and lvmconf is fairly large,so I created a new lv to offload the / filesystem.

Ignite recovery geives this error message.
ERROR: The volume "/etc/lvmconf" is not a suitable mounted volume (cannot be /sbin, /etc, /dev, or a subdirectory of these directories or /stand on pre 10.20 configurations).

I have seen some mention of different versions of ignite can handle this. Is this true, can ignite restore a mount point under /etc/ or do I have to skip this filesystem on my initial creation of ignite.

thanks
brad
4 REPLIES 4
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite recovery error mounts under /etc not allowed

Hi,

I had such a case and decided not to create file systems under "basic" file systems (/usr, /opt, /var) and in / directories.

The problem in your is that IGNITE restores files before creation of appropriate file system.
I'd like to mention that it's not a good idea to create a link in /etc to a file system, root file system in this case will be filled up as well.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Whoops! /etc/lvmconf cannot be on a separate mount point. lvmconf must be present in single user mode to perform LVM commands. If something were to happen to the lvmconf mountpoint, recovery of your system would be almost impossible. So Ignite/UX is trying to tell you that this is a bad idea.

Start by analyzing / to see where all your occupied disk space is located. DO NOT look for big files. Always look for big directories, like this:

du -kx / | sort -rn | head

The two largest directories must be /etc and /sbin. Anything else is a problem and must be fixed. Also make sure that there are no files in / like this:

ll -d /* | grep "^-"

If root's $HOME directory, I would create a nedw directory called /root and move all root's files (including dot files like .profile and .Mail). This simplifies managing root's home directory and makes it easier to catch problems in the / directory.

Another common problem is /dev -- it never has any ordinary files, just directories and device files. FInd the problems with:

find /dev -type f

Most common error is a huge file in /dev/rmt that is a mispelled tape device name.

Now once you find a strange directory with a lot of files, you can sort the directory to find the bigger files:

ll | sort -rnk5 | head

Cleaning up / is an important step in sysadmin for HP-UX. You should be able to reduce / to less than 100 megs of occupied space:

bdf /

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

I you are truly doing a restore, now is the time to increase /. When doing the restore, you can utilize the Ignite menus to increase the size of /
Brad Marshall_2
Frequent Advisor

Ignite cannot handle new mount points within certain root file systems.