Ignite recovery error

SOLVED
Go to solution
PanosC

Ignite recovery error

I seem to be getting the following error when trying to recover a system:

ERROR: The selected root disk is too large to use whole-disk
(non-LVM) partitioning. You must either switch to a smaller
root disk, or switch to using LVM to partition the root disk.

There was nothing I could see in the Advanced mode that could rectify the problem. I've searched the HP site and although I got a couple of hits they all stated:
"An experienced Ignite-UX user could do a little handcrafting to configuration files to work around the problem, but a novice user would be stuck.
With the new changes to Ignite-UX, it is no longer necessary to turn recovery_mode off when the pre-install checks fail. Now you can simply resolve the problem using the interface and continue running in recovery mode. "
It's the handcrafting bits I'm looking for. I have no access to the system that produced the tape. So upgrading Ignite on it is not an option.
I could possibly replace the disk with a smaller one, restore the system, upgrade ignite and produce another ignite tape. But is there an easier and faster way around this?
Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S The systems are runing HPUX 10.20

8 REPLIES 8
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Ignite recovery error

This is the error:

ERROR: The selected root disk is too large to use whole-disk
(non-LVM) partitioning. You must either switch to a smaller
root disk, or switch to using LVM to partition the root disk.

in detail:

(non-LVM) partitioning

You have to use LVM!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PanosC

Thank you Torsten for your prompt reply.
The ignite recovery interface does not give me any options as far as the file system is concerned. I can only change it from HFS to VxFS but then it complains about /stand and have no option to add anything.
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to ignite and HPUX (as you have most probably already guessed).
Should I bring up a shell (within the ignite recovery console) and partition the destination disk?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First tell me please what you want to do.

You are not restoring the backup to the same system.
At least you have replaced the disk.
If you want to restore the backup to another machine, be aware that differences in hardware could prevent this (e.g. you cannot restore a servers backup to a workstation with HP-UX 10.20).

You need to interact with the GUI.
Select advanced installation and go to the "file system" tab (use the tab key) and select (LVM disk layout).
If the default file system sizes does not fit, you can adjust them. The system will check this and tell you about.
At the end, select GO!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Hi,

Restart your Ignite installation session, select *HPUX Install and then select advanced Installation from *User Interface and Media Option menu.

This mode will let you to to make LVM and file-system size changes during the installation process. Networking parameters can also be set during the Advanced Installation process.

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it seems like you don't have created you image with the 'interactive' option (this is for 'wait at install').
For make-recovery it's '-i',
for make_tape_recovery it's '-I'.
Then you can change the disk configuration.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
PanosC

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try to get them to run make_recovery with the -i option, again. I think the last time they told me that it didn't look as a valid option for their version of ignite (told them to run make_recovery -Avi). Hope it will work if they try again, as the current recovery tape does not give me any options as far as the file system is concerned, even in the advanced mode (only saved configuration and user modified, or something like that).

P.S The image is from an A-Class and going to a D-Class.
PanosC

Hi all again,
The version of ignite on that server is a rather old one in sam it shows as 1.42. It does not offer the -i option for interactive recovery. However, the recovery turns to interactive because of the different hardware. There are no options even in the advanced mode to change the file system to LVM.
Is there a way to get around this without upgrading ignite on the source server, or installing the image on a 2GB hard disk?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can't go around an ignite update.

See this thread, the download link for the HP-UX Ignite version still works.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=988912

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.