1748256 Members
3876 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite2Disk - any way to slow it down

S.Rider
Regular Advisor

Ignite2Disk - any way to slow it down

We run weekly make_net_recovery (Ignite2Disk) of a bunch of servers. They have the capability to choke the network, even though we run them off-peak hours. Any way to give Ignite a lower priority so it takes longer but doesn't choke the pipe ?
I believe this can be addressed on the network side but "we don't want to go there".
Ride Boldly Ride, but watch out for El Dorado's
2 REPLIES 2
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

never done this myself but you can slow down the process by 'nice'ing the process when starting it up, and if it is nice enough it should perform slow enough not to bog down the network but again, never done it so I am not sure.

Another suggestion would be to launch the commands from a central server using ssh (key authenticated so you will not need password) and control how many of them you want running at one time by encapsulating the commands ina simple script logic. Or even better if you have a job control infrastructure like Tivoli Maestro or CA Autosys. You can schedule these jobs with a ficticious number as a resource and every starting process grabs a resource. By controlling the number of resources, you can determine how many ignite processes you want running in parallel.

In one of my earlier jobs, we used this for tape backups with number of tapes being the resource and it worked nicely with maestro.

Hope this helps.

You say a bunch of servers, are they all being ran at the same time? If so, couldn't you script a way to stagger your make_nets?