108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Igniting an npar with a vpar ignite-ux image

SOLVED
Go to solution
Albert Goodman
Advisor

Igniting an npar with a vpar ignite-ux image

Can someone who has tried it please advise whether it is possible to ignite an npar with a vpar ignite-ux image?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Nieuwboer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Igniting an npar with a vpar ignite-ux image

Hi albert,

No its not possible because an vpar start with /stand/vpmon and then vmunix.
and a npar starts /stand/vmunix.

grtz. Mark
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Hi Albert,

I do think it is possible to install an nPar with a vPar ignite-ux image.

Mark is right with the fact a vPar is started with vpmon then vmunix. But ... I think that if you install an nPart through "BOOT LAN INSTALL" ISL command, the resulting new HP-UX system will boot normally with file AUTO like "hpux /stand/vmunix ..." not with "hpux /stand/vpmon ...".

Anyway, even if at the end of the install process the file AUTO contains vpmon, not vmunix, I remind you that you can do what you want !!! Stop boot process at the console, then do a manual boot. At ISL prompt, boot interactively then issue the command "hpux /stand/vmunix". When HP-UX is started, correct file AUTO with command :

mkboot -a "hpux /stand/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/XXX

where XXX is the special file of your vg00 disk.

Hope this will help

Eric

(PBFWME;)

Steve Andrews_6
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I agree with Eric. I have rebuilt and cloned systems from a vPar make_tape_recovery to an N-Class and an L-Class. When I used the vPar tape it ignored the fact that it was a vPar and came up fully operational as an N-Class. However, I was not able to do the reverse.
In God We Trust
Albert Goodman
Advisor

Thank you all.

I just recalled that I have actually ignited an npar using a vpar image with an ignite server. But I have not try it the other way round. The experience seems to agree with Eric and Steve's responses.