108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing a downloaded depot file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russell W. Roth
Advisor

Installing a downloaded depot file

After downloading a *.depot file, for example: SwAssistant_C.02.11_HP-UX_11iv2+v3_IA_PA.depot
I am having trouble getting swinstall to actually install it. The above file is sitting in /tmp, which is not a "registered" depot directory (BTW, a lot of the docs here make no distinction between a depot file and a depot directory - could you be more specific, please - this is not a rookie issue, it is a clarity issue: when I'm searching for "creating depot" [as in a registered directory] I don't want to have to sift thru info on swpackage. Can a depot file be a "software source"?). When I run swinstall -s /tmp SwAssistant, all that I get back is 'There is currently no depot software on host "ls-wmsdv" at location "/tmp" '. Why does it tell me there is no "depot software" when there is a file with .depot at the end of it sitting in that very directory? If I mv the depot file to a registered depot dir, it gives me the same reply. swcopy is the same. I've installed software before - I just don't do it often, and usually with this kind of difficulty. I should be able to recall the steps from documentation, but it is lacking in something I need in order to understand. There's something fundamental, that is assumed by all the docs I have read, that I am missing. Can you tell me what it is?
10 REPLIES 10
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing a downloaded depot file

Hello,

try it like this:

# swinstall -s /tmp/SwAssistant_C.02.11_HP-UX_11iv2+v3_IA_PA.depot SwAssistant

(everything on one line)

J.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Depot registration is intended for remote software installation. That said, you need to do:

# swinstall -s /tmp/SwAssistant_C.02.11_HP-UX_11iv2+v3_IA_PA.depot SwAssistant

...which specifies the full path and the product you want installed from the depot file given by the full path.

Regards!

...JRF...
smatador
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I agree with you the doc of the install omit something, it say
"Install the SWA tool using this command:
swinstall -s / SwAssistant"
but of course you could do it if you launch the entire command to access the depot
# swinstall -s /tmp/SwAssistant_xxx.depot SwAssistant

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

depot is different and .depot file is different. depot generally means, directory which contains one or more software in it. depot has specific directory structures and necessary files to understand by SDUX.

so when you specify depot with SDUX command, you can simply specify the depot directory. SDUX commands will understand the contends and list the products.

#swinstall -s
#swinstall -s /tmp

For .depot file you need to specify the filename preferably with absolute path.

#swinstall -s /tmp/patch.depot
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Russell W. Roth
Advisor

So, when the docs mention / I need to understand it as "full path name of the depot file containing the software".

Thank you gentlemen.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

Now that you understand what the "path_to_depot" text meant do you have any suggestions to what we might do to make that less confusing?

Bob "yes, I should have paid attention in English class"
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Bob: Now that you understand what the "path_to_depot" text meant

You and Russell forgot the most important part, it has a leading "/".
A suggestion would be to use absolute path.

aaee
Advisor

That alwasy gets me. Forgetting the absolute path/name.
Russell W. Roth
Advisor

Thanks, Bob, I get your point, but it's not English that's the problem--it is "what you're used to seeing", habit, convention. Usually when I see it stressed that you need to use the full path, what they're saying, and what I usually leave out, is "the part before the filename". That's why, plus maybe the lack of caffeine, I couldn't understand it--because I was giving that part. Originally, what I wasn't giving was the file name.