New Discussion юеВ

Installing applications using ignite

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prakash Achuthan
Occasional Advisor

Installing applications using ignite

Hi,

I have an application which comes packaged as tar file. Is it possible for me to use ignite-ux to install this on multiple servers without reinstalling HP-UX on those servers?

Or, in other words, can I have a configuration (in the INDEX file) for installing my application which omits the disk layout config file.

Thanks,
Prakash
8 REPLIES 8
fg_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Installing applications using ignite

Prakash

A few questions for clarification:

1) What is the application that you are trying to install.
2) Why is it necessary to re-install HPUX with the installation of the product, or is it?
3) What model/version O/S are you running?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Prakash,

Ignite ux is used to install any application alongwith the OS only. You cannot install an application seperately without reinstalling the OS using Ignite.

Take a look at the Ignite UX administration guide,

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90704/B2355-90704.html

Hope this helps.

Regds
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

You'd first have to package your application as SD depot file. See the swpackage man page for more details on how to do this. Once that's done, you can just swcopy your application depot to the Ignite server.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Ignite make_recovery is used for installing/cloning systems , not applications.
So, i don't think you can selectively copy a set of files alone.

But, why would you want to do it?? If it is a tar file and you want to save yourself the installation chores on every box, can't you just tar(or swpackage) the install directories into a tape or file and copy it across?

HTH
raj
Take it easy.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi Prakash,

I suppose you could do that but...

Ignite is for rebuilding your server. The first "tape file" written is a boot image. The second is a tar of what's in vg00 (or whatever you specify). So, unless you are going to clone the servers I wouldn't use Ignite. Since you say "without reinstalling HP-UX on those servers" I presume you just want to install the application.

If you want to selectively include the files needed for the application (I presume there are config / parameter files not included in the installation tar file), why not just make a new tar file? Seems much easier.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Prakash Achuthan
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

My question is very simple.
I want to fire an ignite installation of an application (in tar or SD format) from my ignite-ux sever without reinstalling the OS on that client machine.

Basically, I want to use ignite-ux for doing distributed installation on a large number of m/c's from the ignite-ux server.

Frank, my m/c config is B.11.00 A 9000/871

Thanks
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think Ignite is the product for that. You need ServiceControl Manager, which can be downloaded for free from http://www.software.hp.com/products/SCMGR

It allows you to install software on remote machines using SD. I believe this product supercedes OV/SD which used to provide this functionality?

The sd(5) man page also contains some information, under "Remote Operation".

Regards,
Steve
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Pracash,

Hope it's not too late !
Why you don't use the unix command "rdist" for distribution, it's really powerfull and regouruos.

Magdi