108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is make_recovery portable to Sun?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Is make_recovery portable to Sun?

I have several acquantances on that administer Suns they are curious about the make_recovery process for Suns. Wrong forum probably but hey I thought I'd ask

Any ideas?
RM
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Is make_recovery portable to Sun?

make_recovery will not work on Sun machines. The biggest problem, not withstanding that HP programs won't run on a sun box, is that Solaris doesn't use LVM for their boot disks, at least not unless you install Veritas Volume Manager. Then there is the issue of the boot LIF area, different kernel, and a host of other things.

It would probably be a good thing for Sun to develop, but HPs version won't work on Solaris.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, that dog won't hunt. I somehow doubt that HP would allow Sun access to that source code. It would be nice; Ignite/UX is a very powerful and handy tool.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Rex

That dog wont hunt . But still you can keep a tar copy of the OS on a tape and can reload it with min OS booted from the CD , also you can perform simple steps like partition , fsck etc from the OS CD so if you are in fix boot witht eh OS CD interrupt OS load and relaod the tar back of the OS . Crude but a working solution.

Manoj Srivastava
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

thanks all .. I pass this along to the appropriate parties.
Chris Knight_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi-
Sun's equiv to Ignite is the Jumpstart---there should be something like the make_recov..
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Thanks