New Discussion юеВ

Re: L2000 server to RP3410

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chrisl_2
Frequent Advisor

L2000 server to RP3410

Hi all.

I have a production server L2000 running HPUX v11.00. I purchased a new rp3410 running HPUX v11.23. We need to move production to the rp3410. Is it possible to utilize make_tape_recovery to do this? I know that in the past, make_tape was not the right tool to cross OS and hardware platforms. Has make_tape or ignite been enhanced at all to cover this type of procedure?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Nope.

You can try but I will bet you 2 cents that the boot of the image will fail with something like "unknown CPU type"

You will have to build fresh with 11iv1 or v2 and copy your system specifics to the new server.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Be aware that ignite cannot "enhance" a rp3410 to run HP-UX 11.00, because it is intentioned to run 11.11 or higher.

You should consider to do a cold install with at least 11.11 and transfer your applications.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Not really but you really shouldn't need it because I know that nothing is in /dev/vg00 that is not directly related to the OS. I know that you have been very disciplined and resisted the temptation to install anything non-OS related in /dev/vg00.
You will need to copy passwd, group, your printers, hosts, and the like from your old box to the new. Next, all you really need to do is install 11.23 on the new box, install the equivalent HP tools such as OnlineJFS, Mirror-UX, and the latest patch bundles for 11.23. You can then vgimport your non-vg00 applications and data and you are ready to go.

The "gotcha" is that HVD SCSI devices are not supported at 11.23 so you cannot use vgimport to migrate data stored on these devices but will have to use conventional backup/restore utilities for these.

In any event, Ignite is really only intended to store the vg00 stuff so you would be be in the same boat regardless.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.