1752340 Members
5826 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lan boot of rp7410 from a HP-UX 11.00

Cao Da Shi
Occasional Advisor

Lan boot of rp7410 from a HP-UX 11.00

Is it possible to boot rp7410 from lan by one L3000 of HP-UX 11.00 with the help of ignite? It seems that the boot hang there (xxx)WINSTALL. I'm afraid that a booting by the program for HP-UX 11.00 is used.
How to change it to use the boot program for HP-UX 11.11?
Always Learning
5 REPLIES 5
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Lan boot of rp7410 from a HP-UX 11.00

Hi,

It is not possible to boot rp7410 with the OS from an L3000.

You can only install the OS from the ignite server and that's what it was doing - WINSTALL.

If it is a new server, it should have come pre-installed with the OS. In that case you can boot the system directly from the harddisk.

Otherwise, you will have to install the OS onto one of the local disks. Either through CD or through ignite server. But before that you will need to create a "Genesys" partition to install the OS. Look at docs.hp.com website to understand the archicture of npartitions by exploring the Hardware link.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Cao Da Shi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sri,
Thank your help.
But the Genesys partion has been generated. In fact that partion can boot, but I want to reinstall the server and there is no dvd-rom driver in it.
Always Learning
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You will need to make sure you have 11i install utilities installed. Do a "swlist" and grep for ignite and it should list something like this

Ignite-UX-11-11 B.3.4.1 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.11

Then you will need to create an image for 11i. Once the system boots through WINSTALL, you can select the 11i image from the installation screen.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can boot from L3000 ignite OS image provided that the ignite is properly configured and both the machines are in the same subnet. Else you woul need a gateway helper.

If you are planning to install virtual partitions on rp7410 then 11.00 is not supported ..

Regards,
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Jean-Guy GROSSE
Advisor

Hello,

It seems WINSTALL is a Ignite mini-Kernel from Ignite server. Regarding RP7410 we need a good version of ignite wich support new materials.

I thinks >= 3.7.95

See http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/download.html

Good luck.