1752808 Members
6060 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Make tape recovery

John Ramsay_2
Regular Advisor

Make tape recovery

I know this has been hashed out before but I would like to make sure about this....
I have a 4 gb drive I want to backup and be able to boot and restore from it. I have a 4gb compressed dat that shows it's claimed by ioscan. I'm not sure how to mount it because I'm confused about the different files 0m, 0mn...at&t, berkely...I want to put all the 4gb drive compressed on the 4gb tape. I have ignite and can do a make_tape_recovery...
What I was wondering is since I need to compress, boot from, restore from, what is the correct command line to get all vg00? I wanted to ask the masters because after I'm done I'm going to try a restore and I've got everything like I want it. And I don't want to screw this up.
Thanks all!!!
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The command to use is:

# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00

Be sure to use the appropriate tape drive for you system (probably 0) and use the no-rewind device (so it would be /dev/rmt/0mn).

That should be all you need to do.

Good luck!
John Ramsay_2
Regular Advisor

What about this?
# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn
No one answered so I tried this and got a 4+0 records in
3+1 records out
I/O error
failed to generate LIF on tape

Any ideas?
lawrenzo
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

Have you tried the default ignite script
hello
lawrenzo
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

Have you tried the default ignite script:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_recovery -d /dev/rmt/0mn

This should create the minimum os recovery tape.

when you reboot the system for recovery and do an ioscan of the system - the tape drive should already be claimed.

I have limited skills so appologies if this is noddy info
hello
John Ramsay_2
Regular Advisor

I can't use the default because my tape is /dev/rmt/1mn and it defaults to 0mn.
I tried another tape and I get the same thing....:(
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Looks like a bad tape. Are you sure that it's the correct media type for the tape drive (e.g., not a DDS2 cartridge in a DDS1 drive -- and that it's not write-protected ;>) ?

Also, by default, the temporary LIF is created in /var/tmp before writing to tape.
You will get an error if you do not have enough space there. It says 32MB free is required, but I've had problems when even somewhat more than that is available.
Therefore, I usually use the "-B" option and point to a temp dir in a filesystem with plenty of space:

. . . -B /largefs/tmp/lif . . .

bv

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer