6711 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: March 2007 quality pack patch install with ignite

Richard Hepworth
Esteemed Contributor

March 2007 quality pack patch install with ignite

Hi,

I'm having issues trying to get the installation of the March 2007 Quality Pack patch bundle (QPK1123_B.11.23.0703.059a) into our ignite build. I've created the depot on our ignite server and doing a swinstall of this depot on a test server works fine. I've added the patch bundle into the ignite INDEX file as I want this bundle installed on all servers built from this image but when it gets to the stage in the build where it is installing this bundle I get the following:

* Starting swinstall of the source
(/var/opt/ignite/depots/PATCHES/QPK1123_B.11.23.Mar07).
* Running command: "/usr/sbin/swinstall
-s10.160.239.7:/var/opt/ignite/depots/PATCHES/QPK1123_B.11.23.Mar07
-f/tmp/ign_configure/software_file -x os_release=B.11.23 -x
os_name=HP-UX -xpatch_filter=*.* -xpatch_save_files=true -x
os_release=B.11.23 -x os_name=HP-UX:64 "

======= 04/19/07 05:50:22 EDT BEGIN install AGENT SESSION (pid=19481)
(jobid=pdctst1-0009)

* Agent session started for user "root@pdctst1". (pid=19481)
WARNING: The software specification
"BUNDLE,r=B.11.23,a=HP-UX_B.11.23_32/64,v=HP" refers to a
bundle (or to a product, subproduct or fileset within a
bundle). Only some of the software specified could be
selected. The messages below show those items which could not
be selected and those items which were selected but generated
a warning:
* The software "PHCO_34944,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.23_IA/PA,v=HP" was
successfully marked, but it depends on the following software
items which could not be found in the source. However, these
items may already be in the target. This will be checked
during the Analysis Phase:
UserLicense.UNL-USER,fa=HP-UX_B.11.23_IA
* The software "PHCO_32149,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.23_IA/PA,v=HP" was
successfully marked, but it depends on the following software
items which could not be found in the source. However, these
items may already be in the target. This will be checked
during the Analysis Phase:
UserLicense.UNL-USER,fa=HP-UX_B.11.23_IA
* Could not apply the software selection
"QPK1123_B.11.23.0703.059a,r=1.0,a=HP-UX_B.11.23_IA/PA,v=HP";
it is not available from depot or root
"10.160.239.7:/var/opt/ignite/depots/PATCHES/QPK1123_B.11.23.Mar07".

Any idaes why the bundle will install manually but not as prt of an ignite build??
5 REPLIES 5
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately such WARNINGs for 11.23 patch installs are common. There is an embedded dependency on the 'UserLicense' product.

(I think if you will look into the detailed logs from your test 'swinstall' session you will see the same warnings there also.)

It is noisy, but the installs you are doing here should proceed OK and actually install the patch bundle just fine.

If you need a workaround, you could 'swcopy' the UserLicense product from your 11.23 media/depot into your patch depot to get rid of these msgs.
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

I've seen this before, not just 11.23.

To be of further assistance, I'd need to know how you build the Ignite depot, because it should work, if built properly.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Richard Hepworth
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your reply's

The patches mentioned above (PHCO_34944 and PHCO_32149) do actually get installed along with QPKBASE but QPKAPPS does not get installed at all. As I mentioned, if I try and install the bundle on a newly built server everything installs fine but when it is installed as part of the golden image the above happens.
I'm wandering if I should try and install the patches as a post_config_cmd instead as by then all installed software will have been configured which may be the reason why QPKAPPS isn't installing at this stage.

Can anybody confirm?

thanks
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

No. In my experience, doing swinstalls via Ignite 'post' scripts does not work. For me the kernel did not get rebuilt, swinstall session did not work properly there.

Sounds to me like you are close to having everything right. You make your patch bundle depot, run 'make_config' on it, then add the new config file into your INDEX file stanzas.

Make sure QPKAPPS is spelled out in your config file. Perhaps you need to make sure QPKAPPS is really selected at Ignite time.

Perhaps you should post your custom config file.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

As Scot pointed out, errors may be seen involving the UNL-USER fileset that are a necessary but unfortunate artifact of 11.23. During a cold-install (ignite) that fileset is in the depot, at every other time that fileset *will* be found on the system during "analysis phase".

When dealing with patches and cold-installs, all of the needed patches will be installed automatically just by existing in the depot. For later installations (including multi-session ignite operations) you should use the SD option "-x patch_match_target=true" to limit erroneous errors.

If a patch bundle wrapper is not installed, but all of the patches within the bundle are installed, the wrapper can be installed by itself by appending a "." to the wrapper name:

# swinstall -s /depot QPKAPPS.