108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC and jack settings for Ignite recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Murden
Regular Advisor

NIC and jack settings for Ignite recovery

I am recovering a K420 across the subnet usin the make_boot_tape, which is, really cool. The K box is running 11.11 and i am not using the built in LAN but using the make_boot_tape, i can choos the LAN on the client. The one problem that i run into is that the client network card is set at 100/full and so is the jack. If i chage the jack setting to "auto" the Ignite recovery works? Is there a way around this where i dont have to change the jack setting to recover a system? If no, why? And what are the risks at running auto on the jack or vice versa? Ignite 6.144 HP-UX 11.11.
Thanks,
Richard
8 REPLIES 8
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi richard,
It will work but then you shoudl know the jack setting and accordinly you will have to set your server nic card.
Basically to communicate properly interface at the both the ends should have similar communication parameters (recommended).
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The problem you are facing relates to two different settings at both ends. This is because you can set settings on host end by changing the configuration file. But this is not possible because when your system boots it takes the default driver with default options. That is why you require to do this change. So once recovery is complete change config file and jack both to 100 FD.

This should not involve any risk except a it long duration as it might be communicating at somewhat less speed.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Richard,

this should work as follows:

instl_adm -d > /tmp/iux_conf

add the following line to /tmp/iux_conf
init _hp_lanadmin_args="-S 1"

run
make_boot_tape -f /tmp/iux_conf -d /dev/rmt/0m
(or whatever tape device you use)

Regards,
Bernhard
Richard Murden
Regular Advisor

Bernhard,
This is the result of the new make_boot_tape that i made from the Ignite server and put in the client (K420) that i am trying to recover.

* Bringing up Network (lan0)
* running: lanadmin -S 1 0
Unable to open catalog for C
Switching to the use of Internal Messages.
Old Speed = 10000000
New Speed = 10000000
add net default: gateway xxx.xxx.x.xx
* Reading configuration information from server...
From here I get the tftp transfer erorrs
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Richard,

first you might want to run lanscan to find out the PPA of the 100Mbit NIC and add a line like

init _hp_default_cur_lan_dev="1"

into /tmp/iux_conf
before the lanadmin_args line

so that the lanadmin command would work on lan1 instead of the default lan0 (which for a K420 would be the onboard 10Mbit HD NIC).

also you should try and replace the "-S 1" in lanadmin_args by "-X 100fd" which would be the usual argument for lanadmin.

Regards,
Bernhard
Richard Murden
Regular Advisor

Bernhard,
I used the "-X 100fd" for the lanadmin_arg and everything I got it to connect to the Ignite server and the archive is running! Cool! One last question, will the entry for the lanadmin_arg work for other servers? All are servers are set to 100FD on the server and the jacks. Thanks again for your help.
Richard
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Richard,

with the tape you created this is part of the INSTALLFS and that boot tape would work on any server that has a NIC with PPA 1 (or 2 or whatever it is on your K420).

If you want to ignite an L-Class through the 10/100Mbit Core IO NIC, then the lan_adminargs should be applied to PPA 0, since it is lan0; while on other boxes you might have lan2 or lan3 as the 100Mbit NIC through which you want to recover.

Regards,
Bernhard
Richard Murden
Regular Advisor

Thanks, for the help and information,
Richard