108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Non-root volume groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Non-root volume groups

I've used ignite on systems w/ only root volume group (everything else was mounted). Now, I'm working on systems w/ multiple volume groups.

I'm including all of vg00 on the ignite tape.

I am assuming that when the system is booted from the tape, all of the vgs will have there configuration restored as well. I'm also assuming that if the ignite tape is current, all of the data on the other vgs will be accessible.

Are these correct assumptions (I've got good backups of the other vgs, I'm just trying to document recovery procedures for various scenarios)

Thx...
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Non-root volume groups

Hi SA,

No they're not.
ONLY if you include -x inc_entire=vg_name will the non-vg00 VGs be backed up & therefore restored. However the vg info from /etc/lvmconf will be backed up allowing you to re-import them post restore.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

That's exactly the info that I wanted to know.

My concern was that all of the data in the other volume groups would have to be recovered everytime.

thx
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

as Jeff said, unless you used the -x inc_entire=vgname switch multiple times for every volume group to be included in your ignite image, you will not have access to these vg's contents when you ignite another server with this tape. Even though it is "do"able, this is not the best way to recover systems. Only -x inc_entire=vg00 should be included in your ignite tape creation and the rest of the vg's should be backed p by whatever backup solution you are using and restored once the other server finishes getting ignited.

Hi,

as far as I know the best way to backup the entire system is as follows:

- for vg00
make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -v

This will do a bootable tape saving whole vg00 (LVM structure+data) and the LVM structure of other VGs but of course not data.

- for data of other VGs (NOT-vg00)
backup data by other tools (fbackup, tar, Data Protector and so on....)

This is my preferable way.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

We do:

make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/3mn

and get Data Protector to backup the rest.

I got this Ignite command from the forums some time ago.

I'll be testing it again quite soon, which is always interesting.
DCE
Honored Contributor

Make you have created map files of all your volume groups, and that the maps are are stored in vg00

vgexport -p -m vg02.map /dev/vg02

This will allow you to easily import the volume groups after restoring vg00
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

My concern was that, if the data in the other vgs wasn't corrupted (damage vg00 only), I would still have to restore everything from OmniBack.

It appears that in this case, all I need to to is ignite then vgimport and I'd be good to go.

thanks all.