108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not enough space for archive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Not enough space for archive

I want to create a new archive. My first archive only archived vg00 and this was 2Gb (I'm using make_net_recovery). I now want to do an archive of all of my volume groups (vg00, vg01, vg02 & vg03). When I run the mnr it tells me "Not enough space for archive". The log file says it needs 19143730 kbytes (19GB) and there's only 12125080 kbytes (12GB). All of this makes sense.

vg01, vg02 & vg03 are fully backed up each night to tape, so what i really wanted was...
Not to archive the contents of vg01, vg02 & vg03, just the configuration of them so that if I need to do a recovery it will configure the logical volumes for vg01, vg02 & vg03 and I can then restore the data from my backup tapes. I assumed that if I did this the archive wouldn't be much bigger than the original 2GB.

Can I do what I'm wanting? And if so what is the fundamental mistake that I'm making?

Many thanks,

Gary

4 REPLIES 4
Sandeep_Chaudhary
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Not enough space for archive

how many old copies do u maintain.

/opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery -v -P s \
-s $IUXSERVER \
-a $ARCSERVER:$ARCDIR \
-d "$ARCDESC" \
-n $VERSIONS \
-f $CFGFILE >$LOGFILE 2>&1

at -n u have to mention how many copies u have to maintain.

But i dont think it is wise idea to backup Vg other than root vg(vg00) in ignite backup. First of all it requires more time to backup, more time to restore. In case of failure the situation demands fast recovery.So it is always advisable to backup only VG00.
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Gary.

Using ignite to back up vg00 will save a configuration of all of the VG's on the server.
When using the recovery image ignite will create the backed up volume (VG00) (All of the LVM information is on vg00) and then when the server reboots it will try to mount the volumes as normal.

It pays to make sure that if the the VG information changes another image (or two) is made so that there are current images to return to.

This is based on the assumption of no VxVM?
Which is still my preferred option.

Hope this helps.
Trevor.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Sorry, missed the second part of the question.

When the system is recovered, the VG information is there. If you have not damaged the other VG's then you will not need to recover them from tape. If you have lost all of the VG's then the information of what they should be is there and you can recreate them from that.

But that is a major disaster when you lose not only the boot but data disks as well.

Trevor.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

Thinking about it, I think you are probably right about not archiving the other vg's. These are backed up each night and it is vg00 that is crucial.

Trevor - thanks for the explanation.

many thanks,

Gary