108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: One ignite server 2 lans, howto set it up to server both at the same time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Robinson_6
Occasional Advisor

One ignite server 2 lans, howto set it up to server both at the same time

How would I set up an ignite server to serve 2 different lans at the same time, one public, one private. I have multiple nics

Dan in Charlotte
8 REPLIES 8
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

try /sbin/set_parms

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Dan Robinson_6
Occasional Advisor

actually, I already have it talking on 2 lans, I need to know how to configure ignite-ux to handle requests from both net's, I'm only interested, however in providing boot helper services to the private lan, since the public lan contains many different subnets.
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

If I understood your question correctly, you have 2 different lans. One public and one private and you want to serve over both LANs.

If you are preparing net recovery through public and it will be served through that.
The net recovery if prepared through private nic, then will be served through that.

I.i. it depends on through which lan you prepared the net recovery.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,

I think what you are looking for is info on a helper system to ignite system in a subnet different than the one in which your ignite server is located. Looks at the docs under /opt/ignite/share/doc. Specifically look at the sysadm.txt. It mentions the steps on setting a helper system across gateway.

Here is the info from ignite site,

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/faq.html#N01C0A538.02AACAEC

Take a look at the admin guide mentioned in the doc.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Dan Robinson_6
Occasional Advisor

I am not really looking to do net recovery for the servers on the public lan that I am rebuilding. I just want to provide the same build that we put on our new servers that we use our private lan to servers already in our data centers. We would use a CD to boot the server then point it in the direction of the ignite server in our area.

Nick Tarmey_3
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Your ignite server cannot serve both networks simultaenously because the bootp config for the ignite server is probably configured to use the the primary interface. There are 2 things you can do use the instl_adm command to change the ignite server bootp config(IP address etc) each time you want to do an install on the private network or configure a HPUX server/workstation to act as a boothelper.

By the way if you have an ignite server you don't need to use a cd to boot the server just interupt the boot sequence and type:

bo lan install

This will search the network for an ignite server.

server01:/#instl_adm
# instl_adm defaults:
# NOTE: Manual additions between the lines containing "instl_adm defaults"
# and "end instl_adm defaults" will not be preserved.
server="10.1.1.4"
netmask[]="0xffffff00"
route_gateway[0]="10.1.1.254"
route_destination[0]="default"
# end instl_adm defaults.

Hope this helps,
Nick
Elli Wang
Advisor

Dan,
It's ok to have a multi-homed Ignite server. Our Ignite servers have connected to 4 LANs. Just remember that Ignite is using IP address. I assume that your Ignite server's primary IP is on the private LAN. Thus, after you booting from a CD to Ignite menu on the public LAN, you have to put in the "private IP of your Ignite server" in the Ignite server field and the "public IP of your Ignite server" in the gateway IP. That means no matter how many NICs your Ignite server have, you always use the primary IP (or the IP you set up your Ignite server). And you need to set up your client to reach this IP.

Let me know if this helps.
Elli
Dan Robinson_6
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all of the answers to this question. The solution that my leadership has decided on is a second ignite server on a public lan that we maintain. You gotta have Job Security.

Dan