1751691 Members
4906 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Print manifest fails during install

Pat Allen_1
Advisor

Print manifest fails during install

I am running Ignite (B.3.7.96) on a J6000 (11.11) in a test environment. I have a golden image (also 11.11) for a C160. I used to be able to install this golden image just fine. Now, I get a warning message when running the postconfigure scripts. The error/warning is:

ERROR: Can't open data file for writing: /var/opt/ignite/local/manifest/manifest

WARNING: Command "/opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest" failed. Manifest was not created.

The permissions on /var/opt/ignite/local/manifest are 755 (bin/bin). And there is a 0 length manifest file in the directory with the same time stamp as manifest.info, manifest.seed, and template.def.

The file /opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest is 555 and is revision 10.161. If I execute this by hand, the manifest is displayed on the screen.

Has anybody seen this and do you have any idea why the manifest isn't being created?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Pat Allen_1
Advisor

I forgot to mention that there is over 1.5GB of free space in /var so that's not an issue.

Thanks again!
Raymond Ford
Advisor

Yesterday I followed threads from a search of the term "print manifest". Patch PHSS_27406 was recommended for 11i. You may wish to do the search then choose the patch for 11.11, though it may be the same. Hope this helps.

Terry
I'm an apprentice among journeymen who spend a lot of time on the virtual road.
Pat Allen_1
Advisor

Unfortuantely I'm already running a version of ignite that has this patch incorporated into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
roadrunner_1
Regular Advisor

The manifest file should not be zero..but again i zeroed my file and executed the print_manifest command manually..and I could see the contents, but it failed during the post configure session..I am not sure why..but when i restore the file, it works...

the following is the contents in my directory

root:/var/opt/ignite/local/manifest> ll
total 66
-rw-r----- 1 root sys 5647 Nov 20 09:32 manifest
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3061 Jan 10 2002 manifest.info
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3061 Jan 10 2002 manifest.oinfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5647 Jan 10 2002 manifest.orig
-rw-r--r-- 1 bin bin 63 Jan 10 2002 manifest.seed
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 14243 Jun 28 19:42 template.def
Pat Allen_1
Advisor

The problem has been solved with the help of HP support. It actually turned out the owner of the manifest.info file was set to root/sys rather than bin/bin on the ignite server. This was causing problems when the client tried to update the manifest. (Nobody is sure how this got changed.) I haven't had any problems after changing the owner back to bin/bin. Thanks to everybody for the help!