7152 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem installing a Golden Image with the PHSS_24105 patch

Gian Filippo
Advisor

Problem installing a Golden Image with the PHSS_24105 patch

Hi all,

I'm using Ignite-UX Server Revision B.4.2.110 to install a Golden Image HPUX 11.00 on a client system model 9000/785/B1000.

I created the golden image successfully, but when I tryied to install it on the client above, I got the following error:
ERROR: Cannot find the utility: lifcp
ERROR: The script: "/var/adm/sw/products/PHSS_24105
/pfiles/iux_postload" failed, exit code was 1.

I installed the patch PHSS_25982 on the system that I used to create the golden image, as recommended in the PHSS_24105 patch, re-built it e and tried to install it on the same client again, but this doesn't fix the problem. Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance,
Gian Filippo
4 REPLIES 4
Lorenzo Facello
Valued Contributor
Gian Filippo
Advisor

Hi Lorenzo,
I had already seen the messages that you suggested me, but they are related to a "recovery". I don't have to do a "system recovery" but I need to Install from System Images.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply
Bye,
Gian Filippo
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

PHSS_24105 is a workstation firmware patch, that is supposed to support golden-image install, but it has a defect.

As you mentioned, this patch has a warning out against it. The warning text says:

"2002/01/24 - This Non-Critical Warning has been issued by HP.
- PHSS_24105 fails to update the system firmware correctly when it is included in an OS archive (also known as a golden or system image) which is used by Ignite-UX to load a system. During the Ignite-UX session, an error similar to the following is generated:
ERROR: Cannot find the utility: lifcp
ERROR: The script: "/var/adm/sw/products/PHSS_24105/pfiles/iux_postload" failed, exit code was 1.

- The behavior is due to the omission of the directory /usr/bin in the PATH variable defined in the iux_postload script.

- Please note that the patch does install correctly using swinstall(1M). The behavior only occurs when the patch is included in an OS archive installed by Ignite-UX.

- The behavior is corrected in PHSS_25982, which is released."

----------------
So I am surprised that you are seeing the same problem with the superseding patch, PHSS_25982, this one should fix the problem. Double-check that this patch ID is really on the machine after install.

Other things to do:
- If you are not ignting any B, C, or J class workstations, you do not need this patch on your image. Remove it.

- Somewhat risky, but you can edit the control script for this patch directly before you create the image, to make sure that the 'lifcp' cmd in the script has a proper path name.
Gian Filippo
Advisor

Hi Scot,
Finally I fixed the problem as you suggested me by editing the control script /var/adm/sw/products/PHSS_24105/pfiles/iux_postload (for the patch PHSS_24105) before I create the image, to be sure that the 'lifcp' cmd has a proper path "/usr/bin"
Thank you to all
Gian Filippo