1751860 Members
5366 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proper architecture

Harry_14

Proper architecture

I am planning out the configuration for my back up strategy and I could use some advise.

Current State:
1 A500 Backupserver connected to the network (100Mbps)
with
1 Single port ultra 2 scsi (PCI-bus) adapter
1 Omniback Cell mgr. UX 1 drive LTU license
1 OV Omniback 1 drive UNIX, NAS, SAN LTU license (thus only 1 of the 2 TB capacity)
connected to
1 SureStore E Ultrium Libr. 2/20 rk LVDS
2 Ultrium LVDS drives (1TB capacity each)

backing up IDC (about 100-200GB nightly)

Future State:
CRM System (current 150, end of year 300GB)
Billing (current = 250 GB, mid next year 1 TB)
Back Office (current 36GB, end of year = 200GB)

My idea is to purchase:
1 Single port ultra 2 scsi (PCI-bus) adapter
1 Omniback Cell mgr. UX 1 drive LTU license
1 OV Omniback 1 drive UNIX, NAS, SAN LTU license
1 10-15meter SCSI cable

and install it on my CRM server and connect to the 2nd tape library via the long SCSI cable. then I can back-up the CRM, Billing and Back office data to this 2nd library (1TB) and still get 40 Gbps Ultrium speeds.

An alternative is install the 2nd scsi card on the existing back-up server. Connect it to the second Tape library and transfer the data from the CRM, Billing and Back office via the 100 Mbps ethernet network connection.

My concerns with this option is that:
1) I won't be able to get a solid data stream for that can corrupt the data and damage the tape library
2) the window (6hrs) to back up all the data is not enough as I am interested in doing Full physical back-ups on the CRM & Billing systems as they are critical verus physical/incremental on the Back office stuff.

I realise that eventually, I need to get a complete sure store tape library for the CRM & Billing alone. However, I must implement a solution that can tide me over for the end of this year.

Any advise is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Proper architecture

Obviously, the directly connected SCSI would be a give alternative but you very quickly reach the maximum cable length of LVD SCSI. This is the one big advantage of HVD SCSI. You might consider going to HVD SCSI for your long connection and eventhough the bandwidth is lower than for LVD SCSI, it's still faster than a 100BaseT network connection.

The way to solve your backup time window is fairly simple. Use VxFS snapshot mounts. The idea is that you shutdown your applications, make the snapshot mounts, and then restart your applications. This process should take only a few minutes at most. You then backup the snapshots and since your applications are running you really don't care about how fast the actual backups are. You then unmount the snapshots when you are done. You must have the OnlineJFS package for snapshots. The same concept can be used in the Windows world with Open File Manager.

The good news is that all of this can be done with pre/post execs and thus completely automatic.

As for your part about 'solid data stream' that is no problem. You may not be able to stream your device at full speed but you won't loose data or damage the equipment. If you do choose to use LVD SCSI, measure the lengths (including internal connections) very carefully.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Re: Proper architecture

I would suggest you to go for Fibre instead of SCSI. Because now a days it became cheaper and you are talking about 1 TB backup. And if you take Fibre right now you don't have to think of next upgrade for 5 years.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!