Operating System - HP-UX
1752810 Members
6006 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proper make_tape_recovery syntax when using -x inc_entire with multiple volume groups

Michael Logan

Proper make_tape_recovery syntax when using -x inc_entire with multiple volume groups

I'm a newbie... you probably can figure that out based on my question.

I'm trying to run make_tape_recovery on an entire volume group (vg00) as well as specific disks. Not sure if I worded that properly. Hopefully you can decipher what I'm trying to do based on the following syntax. This is my version of what I want to do:

make_tape_recovery -v -x inc_entire=vg00 /dev/vg01/lvol2 /dev/vg02/lvol7

Is something like that possible? Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Re: Proper make_tape_recovery syntax when using -x inc_entire with multiple volume groups

Instead of using the logical volume names, all you have to do is specify the mount point in the command line .. eg. :

make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_cross=/mountpoint1 -x inc_cross=/mountpoint2

though I've never used those specific commands, it is all listed in the man pages of the make_tape_recovery
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Michael:

If you want to include all of 'vg00' *and* include logical volume 'lvol2' and 'lvol7' of 'vg02' use the filesystem name mounted on them. For instance, if they were "apps2" and "apps7" do:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/apps2 -x include=/apps7 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Notice that I explicitly added the tepe device specification. I also added the '-I' flag, which causes the Ignite process to be interactive when booting from tape. The '-x' flag is replicated for every option case.

Regards!

...JRF...
Helen French
Honored Contributor

The correct usage can be found from the man pages. If you just want to include those LVs along with vg00:

# make_tape_recovery -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/mount_point1 -x include=/mount_point2 -a /dev/rmt/tape_device_name

Here, if you have cross mount points under mount_point1 or mount_point2, use "-x inc_cross=/mount_point" instead of "include" option.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Tim Adamson_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The other responses have nailed the syntax for you:

make_tape_recovery -A -a /dev/rmt/0mn -I -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/ -x include=/

You can always check that the files have been included in the tape archive by checking the following file after the make_tape_recovery is finished:

/var/opt/ignite/recovery/latest/flist

You should see the files in the file that correspond to those on the included mountpoints.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
Michael Logan

I followed some tips I got for the make_tape_recovery (feedback forthcoming, thanks guys), but I got a completion message with warnings:

======= 08/07/03 19:36:05 GMT make_tape_recovery completed with warnings

Here are the warnings:

WARNING: The volume group /dev/vg01 will be only partially included in the System Recovery Archive. This means that not all files and
directories on this volume group will be restored when the archive is
installed. This message can be suppressed using the "-P s" option for
make_tape_recovery. See make_tape_recovery(1M) for more details.

WARNING: The volume group /dev/vg02 will be only partially included in the
System Recovery Archive. This means that not all files and
directories on this volume group will be restored when the archive is
installed. This message can be suppressed using the "-P s" option for
make_tape_recovery. See make_tape_recovery(1M) for more details.

WARNING: The pax command returned a non-zero exit status (exit status 1)

=============================================================
Here's my command:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x include=/usr/local -x include=/opt -x include=/opt/HP-RT -x include=/home

I figured the first two warnings might just be logical based on the fact that I'm just grabbing specifics from vg01 and vg02 as opposed the entire volume group, but I'm not sure. And that doesn't explain the last warning.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi There,

take a look at next doc,

Date: 5/20/03
Document description: Ignite pax: No such file or directory & non-zero exit
Document id: KBRC00012454

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000068583797

Robert-Jan.