108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question about make_recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sally  Devine
Frequent Advisor

Question about make_recovery

I have not used make_recovery and do not have a system in front of me for testing. So I thought I would pose the question here.

Will make_recovery backup the entire /vg00 onto tape or only certain "core" files? If not, is there a way to tell it to get the entire volume group? Also, we have to change the disks on this system from 9's to 18GB's. Will make_recovery still work given that the hardware has changed?

Thank you,
7 REPLIES 7
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Question about make_recovery

If you take make_recovery with -AvC option it will take the backup of full vg00. During the recovery you choose the disk where you want to put the Operating system. So if you choose the 18 GB drive it will do it without any problem.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Sally, yes, yes, and yes.

Yes, with the "-A" option on make_tape_recovery it will backup the entire VG or vg00.

Yes, when you "recover" to the 18GB disks, just recover vg00 to the path of the new 18gb disks (if you are replacing existing, then this shouldn't be an issue if you maintain scsi id's).

Oh, I guess I had too many yes's in there.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Sally,

make_recovery, or the newer and far better, make_tape_recovery, will accomplish this rather nicely for you.

make_tape_recovery will back up whatever you tell it too. It can back up only the "core" vg00 files, or it can back up the whole of vg00. I recommend using this syntax:

/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -x inc_entire_vg00

What this command does:

-a /dev/rmt/?mn - replace the ? with the appropriate device # for your tape drive

-I - when booting from the Ignite/UX tape, causes it to come up to a menu and NOT automatically re-install

-v - verbose - lots of details about what's going on

-x inc_entire=vg00 - use this to back up your entire VG00.

Now as far as makeing a tape, I'd actually make 2, and using it after replacing your drives. This is what Ignites is made for.

Once you have your tape(s) made (also make sure you back up your data, just in case.) shut your machine down, replace your vg00 drive(s) and restart the machine. Interrupt the boot process when appropriate and boot from your Ignite/UX tape (go ahead and write-protect the tape before booting from it. again, just in case.).

When the machine boots from the tape, it will come up into a menu and at that point you can change the disk(s) that will be used for vg00. You can also change any LV sizes at this time as well. Since you have new disks, why not go ahead and take advantage of some of the extra space. :)

When you are done with your changes, you tell it to "Go!" and it will start reinstalling the OS on your new disks.

When selecting your new disks, be sure you are CERTAIN which ones you are selecting so that you don't install the OS over the top of some of your data.

If you have any VGs other than VG00, they should be imported automatically and be available to you when the reinstall is done.

If you need to get the latest version of Ignite/UX go to:

http://software.hp.com/products/IUX

Hope this helps!!!!!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Sally,

1) Will make_recovery backup the entire /vg00 onto tape or only certain "core" files? If not, is there a way to tell it to get the entire volume group?

If you use '-A option' it will backup the entire vg00 ( see man make_recovery)

2) Also, we have to change the disks on this system from 9's to 18GB's. Will make_recovery still work given that the hardware has changed?

Yes, it will still work (SCSI id matters). But be sure that the make_recovery will only backup the root vg (vg00). For all other VG, you should have seperate full backups.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Joanne Keegan
Regular Advisor

Hi Sally,

I support what the others have said. To get vg00 backed up use the -A option. It is worth noting that make_recovery is being replaced with make_tape_recovery, and in future releases make_recovery will point to make_tape_recovery.

The options differ a little between the two. Note also that if using the -A option, it is not necessary to use the x option to include vg00 - the -A option takes care of this.

I've just finished testing and upgrading to make_tape_recovery on our site.

Good luck.

Jo
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Also be aware that if you have your VG00 mirrored, the mirrors will NOT be recreated when installing from the make_tape_recovery tape. You will have to recreate your mirrors manually.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi Sally,

The others have given good advice. You may already be aware of what I'm going to mention but...

I strongly suggest you become familiar with making Ignite backups and recoveries. There is no replacement for doing these backups on a regular basis and any time you make changes to the system (patches, hardware, software, etc). It is absolutely, positively, the best way to rebuild a system. You don't have to fool with codewords, what patches did I have installed, etc.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)