New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recovering ACLs with Ignite

SOLVED
Go to solution
IS Ops account
Advisor

Recovering ACLs with Ignite

Hi all,

Can't seem to be able to find any relevant information on this in the Ignite documentation, so I hope someone can help me answer this.

We're doing Ignite backups of a server that has file systems with quite a lot of ACLs set on files and directories.

Know that Ignite uses tar to backup and tar doesn't backup ACL information (not in the default supplied version anyway), but I was wondering if someone knows of a way to create a recovery tape that includes ACL info as well.

Thanks,
Jan.
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You should using the proper tool, fbackup or some such, not ignite. ignite uses pax(1) and that probably is the tar format. And neither does cpio(1).
IS Ops account
Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply Dennis.

Just not sure this is the answer I was looking for...

I know that fbackup backs up ACLs (we're using DataProtector to back up the OS as well), but I am looking for a way to do this with Ignite as well.
If that's not possible, that's an valid answer as well, but I was just wondering if someone knows a way without having to resort to separate fbackup (or other tools).

It's really inconvenient to have an Ignite backup for quick recovery, then have some other tool back up the same files, because Ignite (tar) doesn't handle ACLs.

Cheers,
Jan.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

If you search the ITRC for other threads, they recommend you should not use ignite to back up user files, just the OS.

And especially if you are backing up to tape, using ignite/pax will take forever, compared to fbackup that can keep the tape streaming. Here are at least two:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1161020
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=142067
IS Ops account
Advisor

Thanks Dennis,

Know that as well. Unfortunately our customer requires having some ACLs set on some files in file systems in vg00 (OS related files), so that doesn't make things easier.

Guess I'll just have to work around this issue...

Thanks for looking though!

Jan.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor
Solution

well...this does do it directly..but

can't you use "find -acl opt" to find all of the files, together w/ lsacl to get info and the acls? it seems like you should be able to generate a file (just prior to taking your ignite backup) and then after restoring, process the file to set the desired acls.

IS Ops account
Advisor

That's what we're doing in the meantime already. It's additional hassle though and it would have been nice to be able to use another tool for the data file written to tape (or have tar upgrade so it will store ACLs).

Thanks,
Jan.