Operating System - HP-UX
1752626 Members
4941 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recovery CD from Recovery Tape

Recovery CD from Recovery Tape

Hi,

I've been trying to make a bootable recovery CD from my build tape, for disaster recovery. I've followed the steps and built a CD that does work, but not correctly...

I've built the tape from the tape archive (dd'ed off and then gzip'ed) and the files have come from the make_tape_recovery process from the imaged system (archive_cfg, system_cfg and control_cfg) modified appropriately.

The only area it slips up on is loading the post installation scripts (os_arch_post_c and os_arch_post_l), the CD just appears to hang. If I break out of this (Ctrl-C a couple of times) the installation will continue normally and load my recovery archive (but without running the scripts).

I've turned on debug in the advanced options and the part that it fails on is this:

runcmd("/sbin/loadfile -l SCRITPS .")

I don't think it likes the . part as the path to load into.

I've tried this with different version of ignite (3.4.115 and 3.7.96) and a make_medialif output from a different server. I've even extracted the SCRIPTS file from the lif, un'gziped and tar'ed and can confirm that the archive is valid.

Anybody ever come across this before??

Thanks
---
Dave Hawes-Johnson
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Recovery CD from Recovery Tape

Thanks, but I've trawled through lots of docs on this so I'm performing the correct operations.

I have just checked my CD again and have attempted to read the SCRIPTS file from the actual CD (in the past I have been reading it from the file before I burnt it) and I can't read it:

# lifcp /dev/dsk/c0t0d0:SCRIPTS .
read: Invalid argument
read_blocks(lifcp): error on 2048 byte write

So looks like my method of writing the disk is a little wonky. At the moment I use Nero on my PC to burn the file as an image (As I don't have access to a unix box with a cd-writer) - so what other ways are there to burn this via a PC?

Thanks
---
Dave Hawes-Johnson

Re: Recovery CD from Recovery Tape

I've had a search and found posts that describe how to burn with Nero. Unfortunately this is exactly how I _was_ burning with Nero..

So, updated my version (from 5.5.7.2 to latest), put in a better brand of disk and burned at a lower speed (x8 instead of x24) and it seems to have worked - I suspect that the updated version of Nero was the fix...

Cheers