New Discussion юеВ

Recovery disk for the whole server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Recovery disk for the whole server?

Henry,

My apologies - I hadn't looked at the site recently. When I did just now, I noticed the following note:

"Note

The HP-UX 10.20 depot is available only through June 2004 though this version of HP-UX is no longer supported."

Apparently the newer 10.20 version are no longer available!

Pete

Pete
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The reason that using Ignite just to backup VG00 is that it is designed to reinstall the boot disk and VG00 files. It is not designed to perfectly replicate your existing system, specifically in handling device file names, hardware paths and mirroring. Use the make_recovery program to backup VG00 and add the -i option so that when recovering, the tool will always interact with you before proceeding.

For the rest of your volumes, use fbackup and this includes vg00 too. The reason is that Ignite does not produce a tape that is easy to restore a few files, which is the most common reason for needing a backup tape. fbackup should be used to recover the rest of the files but this would not normally be required if the root disk is gone...the other disks should be unaffected. As part of a disaster recovery plan, Ignite can be used to load a replacement computer and the fbackup tapes used to populate other disks at the DRP site.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Henry Chua
Super Advisor

Hi Pete,

Do you know other sites where I can try my luck with the upgrades?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Henry,

The only other place I can think of is on your install CDs.

Pete

Pete
Henry Chua
Super Advisor

Thanks Pete!!

I am not familiar with the backup thingy..As Bill added, if I recreate and ignite recovery disk.. then wat will I need to back up?...

In his message "recover rest of the files" what is these files refering to.. ALL the LVs and other folders maybe...

for e.g...
PV Name /dev/dsk/c0t6d0
LV Name LE of LV PE for LV
/dev/vg09/stand 12 12
/dev/vg09/root 150 150
/dev/vg09/swap 32 32
/dev/vg09/dump 32 32
/dev/vg09/opt 110 110
/dev/vg09/usr 100 100
/dev/vg09/tmp 25 25
/dev/vg09/var 33 33
/dev/vg09/lvcustomer 17 17

PV Name /dev/dsk/c0t5d0
/dev/vg09/lvcustomer 511 511

As you can see.. I have 2 disks in my system.. and customer spanning in both disk..
How can ignite and fbackup help to restore the system in 2 new disks if this goes bad?..

SOrry for the trouble... but 7 of my 10 machines just went down..really need help ..with my ability..
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is an unusual system where the root volume group is named vg09. While it's possible to do this, it is not very standard and begs the question what else may be non-standard. Now Ignite/UX will handle the two disk just fine during backup. When you restore from tape, you'll need to interact with the Ignite menu to specify your volume group--I doubt the default will be vg09, probably vg00. Since there is probably no way to tell if any applications or scripts have vg09 hardcoded in them, you'll need to change vg00 to vg09, then pick the two physical disks to restore. It's OK to span the two disks. make_recovery will backup all the files on vg09 in this case and restore them to your target system. Be sure to look at all the text on the screen during the make_recovery process to see if there are any errors.

The PV display also shows that the disks are not mirrored which eliminates extra steps after the restoration has been completed.

Now this sounds like a workstation with only two disks, is that correct? If so, then make_recovery is just fine for a full backup. The recommendations not to use Ignite for a full backup are for larger systems, systems that might have 50 volume groups and 250 disks and 32 processors, etc. HP-UX is fairly unique in that the same operating system runs on computer that you can put under your arm (luggable) to multi-million dollar super-computers such as the Super Dome.

As far as fbackup (SAM can do this for you), it is still a good idea to run this backup in case you need to restore just a few files.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Henry Chua
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

How can you tell from the PV that it is not mirrored.. and what is mirroring actually? And yes this workstation has only 2 harddisks...

Recently I experience a crash on this current system, and thus I cloned the harddisks from another similar system.. when I try to boot up.. everything appears fine.. just that the ├в lvcustomer├в can├в t be mounted.. I try to fsck it.. but it gives the message me bad superblock error,, and fsck ├в b with free block present in sbtab didn├в t work either.. must I export or import something?....

How do I calculate how big a tape I need for backup.. do make_recovery copied the whole harddisk when backing