5522 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recovery of vg00 without a tape and IUX-Server

Alexej Frese

Recovery of vg00 without a tape and IUX-Server

Hello all.

I would like you to consult me on the following question:

I have an Itanium based server without a tape. There is enough space on the network drives (for example NFS on a Linux server)to place a recovery image there (make_net_recovery image or make_sys_image).

Is it possible to restore the system drive, in case it completely fails from the image stored on another server with nfs ?

Regards,
Alexej
4 REPLIES 4
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Recovery of vg00 without a tape and IUX-Server

Hi Alexej,

Yis you can create a make_sys_image and copy it to a DVD.

have a look at this doc.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-6440/ch11s04.html

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Alexej Frese

Thank you for your answer Robert-Jan,

but what if the size of the image doesn't fit on DVD and I need all the data?

Regards,
Alexej
Tom Brown
Advisor

I too have some questions about the procedures in the chapter cited. This chapter seems to illustrate the following steps:
(1) Create a special filesystem;
(2) Create an image of the local machine on the special (local) filesystem;
(3) Obtain extra data from the local machine necessary for booting the local machine from a local DVD-drive;
(4) Finalizing and burning an ISO on the local machine and burning the ISO to a local DVD burner.

My questions:
(A) Why do you need a local, special filesystem for this purpose? I have no storage available to me to make such a filesystem. Could I instead utilize a directory on a currently-available local filesystem that does not to be included in the image? If not, why not?
(B) We have several tapeless ia blades. Currently, we have each blade configured as an Ignite Server and make the blades write images back and forth to each other via make_net_recovery. It is these images that I would like to make available on a burnable DVD. Is there some special procedure for creating the "golden" image for the DVD using an image stored locally (on the local Ignite server) that is an image of a physically separate machine?

In other words, if I should lose all of the blades and have to start with new ones, I would like to have a bootable DVD for each blade to put back the operating system and customized configuration. I don't want to have to start by building new HP-UX servers and making all of the 'make_net_recovery' images available over a network.

Chapter 8 is confusing, and simply does not provide instructions to fulfill all of my needs. Can anyone help?
It is better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick.
Tom Brown
Advisor

Edit: of course I meant chapter 11, not chapter 8.
It is better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick.