108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Resilient ignite strategy query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Berd
Trusted Contributor

Resilient ignite strategy query

We have a number of HP servers spread over two sites. I am planning to set up 2 ignite servers, one at each site. Each will manage the recovery archives for each site. The recovery archives will be replicated to the other site via Continous Access replication using XP disk arrays. This will allow each site to have access to the entire estates recovery archives continously, although some manipulation will be required before the remote archives can be used.

My query is regarding whether it is possible to have 2 Ignite servers on the same network ? Will this cause a problem ?
5 REPLIES 5
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

Yes. You will need to have different boot servers in differnt subnet as the server broadcast (bootp) cannot cross routers.
There is always something new to learn everyday !!
Berd
Trusted Contributor

I know that boot lan installs will only work when both client and server are on the same subnet. The question I'm asking is can I have 2 servers on the same subnet.
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

I would not want to do that unless there are a lot of Ignite clients within the same subnet.

Having the mutiple ignite servers will have mutilple broadcast messages from the servers, which i think can raise questions from the network team about broadcast in the network.
There is always something new to learn everyday !!
IT_2007
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes. You can have two ignite servers on the same network.

Each ignite server will have their own client archives exported.
DCE
Honored Contributor

Yes you can have two ignite servers on the same network. Ignite is IP specific and will only backup/restore to the defined server.

In fact, during the interactive ignite restore process you are asked for the IP address of the ignite server you wish to use.

FYI - Ignite restores using a different segment than the one they were created on are very difficult