108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restoring a server with an ignite backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

Restoring a server with an ignite backup

I have made a make_net_backup copy of a HP-UX 11i system like Ignite-UX manual explains. Now I want to restore another diferent server with this copy. This machine has no SO installed. Is there any way from Ignite-UX server to restore the backup image on this new machine without making a tape, directly from net?
26 REPLIES 26
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

Re: Restoring a server with an ignite backup

I have not checked this for some time but my notes on how to do this is as follows:

Turn on target box.

Press and hold the "ESC" key when prompted for:
Selecting a system to boot, and
Searching for Potential Boot Devices.

Enter the boot administration mode:
Select from menu: a.

Access the boot server:
BOOT_ADMIN> boot lan install.

Get a kernel:
ISL> hpux (;0)/boot/INSTALL.

Press the "Enter" key within three minutes at this next screen.

Select:
Install-HPUX.

Three things to do on this screen:
1 Use the "Tab" key to navigate your cursor to the "Remote graphical..." selection.
2 Press the "Space Bar" to change your selection.
3 Select "Ok" when complete.

Press "Crtl-C" to stop the DHCP search.

Using the "Tab" key to navigate:
Add the hostname
Add an IP
Add the netmask
All other info should be correct. Select "Ok" when complete.

At this point, an icon that represents the target box your on will appear on the Ignite GUI. You can run the remainder of the install from the GUI.

NOTE:
If you really need to, you can run the rest of ignite from the target box.
It just ain't pretty.
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

hostname, IP and netmask is network configuration of Ignite-UX server or a temporal not used IP for install purpose? And when Icon of new machine apears in Ignite-UX aplication, sure I can select to deploy a backup of another diferent machine? Thanks for your help.
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

I think I'm right in saying you can't restore an image from one server on to another, but you can definitely use an ignite server to install the operating system (which I suspect would suit your purposes).

I've done this myself and would recommend it - it's user-friendly and makes the job easy.

The developers of DataProtector could learn a thing or two from the developers of ignite!

(Did I say that or think it?)

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

I can't access to boot server like you explain. Whe machine starts and press and hold press ESC I access to a 'Main menu' , but with no 'a' option to select. This is an N4000 PA-RISC Computer. Please, look at attached GIF image for more complete description.
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

Mark, I think you are right. But install a clean HP-UX OS on machine for me it isn't enought. My HP-UX OS are highly configured for secirity reasons, so for me it much easier to make a backup of VG00 from another computer and restore into a new one than install HP-UX and reconfigure it.
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Sorry Jose, your gif file is ilegible on my PC.

Am I right in thinking you're interrupting the boot to boot from a different device?

Assuming you've set up the new server on the ignite server, you should be able to do everything you need to do from the ignite server.

Mark
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor

Hi Jose,

Can you please confirm the following:
1. What type of server was the make_net_recovery image made on?
2. Do you have an ignite server setup and attached to the same network as your new server?
3. Have you copied your make_net_recovery image onto your ignite server?

If you do you should be able to boot from it over the network as described above. I had a look at the gif file attached but I could not see where you have run the "bo lan install" command.

At the main menu prompt that your at now (as in the picture) type in "bo lan install". If you have your ignite server and network configured correctly it should then boot. After about 5 to 10 minutes it should then come up with an Ignite interface.

Please confirm the above and I'll let us know. I'll then describe what you need to do to get your image to work. It can be done but you'll need to modify some config files to point to the image.

Cheers,
Anthony
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor

Hi Jose,

Just to clarify a couple of your questions:

hostname, IP and netmask is network configuration of Ignite-UX server or a temporal not used IP for install purpose?
- The hostname, IP and netmask is for the server you are installing. These can be the final ones or temporary values. You will also be asked for the IP of the Ignite server. The IP for the Ignite server and the machine being installed must be in the same subnet.

And when Icon of new machine apears in Ignite-UX aplication, sure I can select to deploy a backup of another diferent machine?
- You can but you need to modify a few of Ignites config files so that your image will appear in the gui. Once you get your server booting from the Ignite server I'll then move on to how to get this working.

As an aside note, if you're looking to use this image as a basic image to install a number of servers then you may be better off using the make_sys_image command to create a Golden image rather then using a make_net_recovery image which is more for DR purposes. If you want more details on this let me know.

Cheers,
Anthony
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Like said above, but do it with caution.

If you created an ignite image from one server, and that server is running. And your goal is to restore this image onto a different server. Like mentioned above, you have to edit some of the ignite files, figure out the mac address of your new server. There were less then 5 files you need to edit. I meant to document this last time I did this so I can't tell you which one to change. But if you do a find in all the ignite filesystems, grepping for the oldserver name. You should find all of them.

The reason I caution you, is if you don't change all the files. We had an issue where a co-worker here edited most files, but forgot one. Once the new server was installed with the OS. Ignite told the server to reboot, which happened to be the original production server instead of the new server.