New Discussion юеВ

Restoring a server with an ignite backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

Re: Restoring a server with an ignite backup

> Can you please confirm the following:
> 1. What type of server was the make_net_recovery image made on?

root@igniteUXServer:/root> uname -a
HP-UX igniteUXServer B.11.11 U 9000/800 526726591 unlimited-user license
root@igniteUXServer:/root> model
9000/800/L1000-44
root@igniteUXServer:/root>

> 2. Do you have an ignite server setup and attached to the same network as your new server?

Currently not, but I can tell network administrators to reconfigure switch port for it.

> 3. Have you copied your make_net_recovery image onto your ignite server?

I have made my make_net_recovery image form Ignite-UX Server. The system from I have take vg00 mirror is attached to the same net that Ignite-UX server. Following Ignite-UX manual, works perfectly. Now I have a icon about the system where I made make_net_recovery and its make_net_recovery image on Ignite-UX server. I dont have an icon about the system where I want to put make_net_recovery image, this is a different system.

> If you do you should be able to boot from it over the network as described above. I had a look at the gif file attached but I could not see where you have run the "bo lan install" command.

> At the main menu prompt that your at now (as in the picture) type in "bo lan install". If you have your ignite server and network configured correctly it should then boot. After about 5 to 10 minutes it should then come up with an Ignite interface.

> Please confirm the above and I'll let us know. I'll then describe what you need to do to get your image to work. It can be done but you'll need to modify some config files to point to the image.

So, it seems I need to reconfigure port to put in the same network than Ignite-UX server and, with ignite-ux server running, tell to my client system 'bo lan install'. Ok, Im going to doit and tell you what happend.

>> hostname, IP and netmask is network configuration of Ignite-UX server or a temporal not used IP for install purpose?
> - The hostname, IP and netmask is for the server you are installing. These can be the final ones or temporary values. You will also be asked for the IP of the Ignite server. The IP for the Ignite server and the machine being installed must be in the same subnet.

>> And when Icon of new machine apears in Ignite-UX aplication, sure I can select to deploy a backup of another diferent machine?
> - You can but you need to modify a few of Ignites config files so that your image will appear in the gui. Once you get your server booting from the Ignite server I'll then move on to how to get this working.

> As an aside note, if you're looking to use this image as a basic image to install a number of servers then you may be better off using the make_sys_image command to create a Golden image rather then using a make_net_recovery image which is more for DR purposes. If you want more details on this let me know.

Ok, I will try to use make_sys_image instead of make_net_recovery. Is there a graphical way trought Ignite-UX server to make a make_sys_image easylly?. If you can tell me charper of Ignite-UX that describe this process in deep or any other reference will be very apreciated. Thanks for all your help.

> If you created an ignite image from one server, and that server is running. And your goal is to restore this image onto a different server. Like mentioned above, you have to edit some of the ignite files, figure out the mac address of your new server. There were less then 5 files you need to edit. I meant to document this last time I did this so I can't tell you which one to change. But if you do a find in all the ignite filesystems, grepping for the oldserver name. You should find all of them.

Anyone can tell me a documment that describe what files I have to modify to install a make_net_recovery image onto a diferent system? I will grep, but I prefer a official document.

> The reason I caution you, is if you don't change all the files. We had an issue where a co-worker here edited most files, but forgot one. Once the new server was installed with the OS. Ignite told the server to reboot, which happened to be the original production server instead of the new server.

Wooooww!! too dangerous! Its essensial to got a well detailed information about this issue, my production server where I made make_net_recovery can't be rebooted.

Thanks for all your help.
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor

Hi Jose,

Once you have your Ignite server on the same network as the server you want to install you should then be in business.

Once you have done a boot lan install you should then see an icon appear in the Ignite server GUI for your new server. Assuming everything is ok it will take about 10 minutes for the server to boot once you've issue the "bo lan install" command.

You should have no problems installing the image made on the L-class onto an N-class as they are very similar hardware. When doing anything like this it does help to have resonably upto date hardware patches on the server that was imaged but I'm assuming you should be ok.

I'll write again with the details on how to get the make_net_recovery image working.

Cheers,
Anthony
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I'm waitting your information. Thank you very much.
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor

Hi Jose,

Ok. Assuming that you have successfully "boot lan installed" your server, entered the appropriate IP address etc when prompted and got to the point to where you can see an icon for your new server to be installed in the Ignite server GUI you should then complete the following steps:

Step1:
You need to move the make_net_recovery data for your original server over to the new server.
a. cd /var/opt/ignite/clients/orginalserver
b. mv CINDEX /var/opt/ignite/clients/newserver/CINDEX
c. mv recovery /var/opt/ignite/clients/newserver/recovery

Step2:
Remove references to control_cfg from the CINDEX file. This contains references to the original hardware and may cause errors during the install.
a. cd /var/opt/ignite/clients/newserver
b. vi CINDEX
c. delete line containing "recovery/date/control_cfg"

Step3:
You now have to strip out the hardware dependent sections from the system_cfg file.
a. cd /var/opt/ignite/clients/newserver/recovery/latest
b. cp system_cfg system_cfg.orig
c. grep -v -E 'hw_inst|physical_extent_size=1|max_physical_extents|_hp_root|physical_volume|pv_options|stripe|disk\[' system_cfg.orig > system_cfg

That's it. You should now start the install from the Ignite gui by left clicking the new server icon and selecting Install Client, then new install, then OK.

From here you should be able to modify things like the root disk etc but you should leave the configuration selecting under the basic tab as is. Once you're ready then hit Go! and it should hopefully install. It will most likely take about an hour to complete with two reboots during that time.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Anthony
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor

One other thing. If for some reason the IP address of your Ignite server has changed since you originally made the make_net_recovery image you will also need to modify the archive_cfg file so that it contains the corrent IP for the Ignite server.

#cd /var/opt/ignite/clients/newserver/recovery/latest
#vi archive_cfg

Cheers,
Anthony
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much. Im going to probe all during this week. I have to change some switches configurations and other network stuff for testing it. If I found problems, or success installation, I will report it.
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

One more question. My target machine have several network interfaces. When I run 'bo lan install' from what interface will boot? Attached you have an PNG image file showing 'ioscan -fnC lan', 'lanscan' and 'SEA' executions.
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

lan0

Regards,
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Anthony Lennan
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Jose,

Not all network cards support network booting but lan0 on an n-class definitely does. If you attach lan0 to the same network subnet as your ignite server and your ignite server is setup for bootp and dhcp you should have no problems hopefully.

Cheers,
Anthony
Jose Javier Sianes Ruiz
Frequent Advisor

After changing core lan to IgniteUX network, when I execute 'bo lan install' I get an 'Failed' with status -4. Look at attached PNG file for more information. Any idea?