1752601 Members
4561 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Restoring files from ignite

zubi_1
Occasional Contributor

Restoring files from ignite

I am planning to upgrade patches to hp-ux 10.20. If the patch upgrade fails and system fails. In the case of Disaster Recovery, I would recover OS files from tape. After the system is booted up is it necessary that i have to activate all volume groups like vg01, vg02 or just vg00 ?

Second Question: If all volume groups are mounted and working fine. How to restore files of another client using omniback in CLI format. The cell manager is one hp-ux machine backing all three hp-ux client filesystems in one DLT tape drive.

Can anyone please help me with it ?
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Restoring files from ignite

The system will always automatically activate vg00, unless you're booting to LVM Rescue mode (a special case of Single User mode, for fixing serious problems with vg00).

All other VGs are activated automatically as part of the normal system boot-up procedure.

You can disable the automatic activation by editing the /etc/lvmrc file. See the comments inside the file for instructions.
(If you're using ServiceGuard, disabling/customizing this automatic activation is one of the mandatory ServiceGuard installation tasks.)

I don't know enough about OmniBack to answer your second question.

MK
MK
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear zubi

first u have to restore the files for vg00 from ignite-backup for taking the system in minimum level.

regarding u other volume groups

u can see there is an entry AUTO_VG_ACTIVATE=0 in /etc/lvmrc file if it is 0 u have to activate other volume groups manually otherwise u can change this value in to 1 then next boot time onwards vg groups will activate automatically.
or
if it 0
u can activate through command wise
vgchange -a y /dev/vg01
vgchange -a y /dev/vg02 etc....
depends on u env.
other file system after volume group activation u can restore

thanks and regards
sajjad

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Almost the last patches for 10.20 were the y2k patches - this is almost 8 years ago.

And now you think about patching?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
zubi_1
Occasional Contributor

Dear Matti and Sajji,
Thanks for all the information you have given me. I now atleast have an idea on activation of volume groups but I am yet to implement. If I have more questions, I will sure get back to you.

Dear Torsten,
You are right it is too old to patch but I have to do for another client to atleast keep the system upto date.

I would need help on Omniback, I think I might go to Omniback forum.
Roland Piette
Regular Advisor

Hi zui,

Due to amount of parameter you have to read the man page of omnir command and find your way for you specific requirements !

Good luck !
Roland