108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Turning off tftp for ignite

SOLVED
Go to solution
Debbie Beresford
Frequent Advisor

Turning off tftp for ignite

A security scan was done on our system and I have been asked to turn off tftp.  I have been doing some research but I am getting very frustrated with links that go nowhere.

If what I am reading is correct, tftp must be active on the ignite server but not the client.  We have 4 HP systems and no ignite server.  We are running Ignite-UX C.6.1.44 on PA-Risc systems with HP-UX 11.23 O/S.  Ignite backups are run weekly to tape and then used to recover at our DR site as required.

Since our server and client are one in the same, it looks like I should be able to turn off tftp as there is nothing to transfer from another server.  Can anyone confirm this?

I realize we are running an older version of ignite-ux and we will eventually update.  However, in the short term disabling tftp is the quickest way to satisfy our security team.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Turning off tftp for ignite

In your case you can safely turn off tftp in /etc/inted.conf.

Since you are backing up to tape there is no need whatsoever for tftp.

Edit your /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out the appropriate line(s) for tftp.  Once done, run 'inetd -c' to force inetd to reread its configuration from the inetd.conf file.

Debbie Beresford
Frequent Advisor

Re: Turning off tftp for ignite

Thank you very much for your response.  I will make the change.