Operating System - HP-UX
1753732 Members
4609 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using Ignite to clone HPUX from a RP5430 to a D380 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christian Schulze
Regular Advisor

Using Ignite to clone HPUX from a RP5430 to a D380 ?

I always use Ignite to setup/clone my Clusternodes. I install and setup all necessary things on the first node, and when done "ignite" the others. "others" used always to be the same type of machine (eg. RP5430, D270, D380).
Now I have a spare Dualnode-Cluster (D380) which I would like to use for testing, upgrades etc...

Can I use an ignite tape created on an RP5430 to create an (almost) identical Cluster on my D380s ?
Or do I have to make a fresh install ?

Thanks
Christian
never touch a running system
12 REPLIES 12
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Christian,

no way this is going to work, you'll have to do a fresh install.

The architecture of rp's and D-class is just totally different.

Regards,
Bernhard
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Christian,

Nope - I wouldn't even try.
HW diffs are just too great.

A K-class image has a fighting chance, however.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Christian,

Make sure you have the latest ignite version loaded on the server to do it. It is now supported.

Look at the FAQ here

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/faq.html#catList

I would install|re-install the latest QPK/HWE bundles after the cloning.

-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

These boxes are too different. It's not even a given that you will be running 64-bit HP-UX on your D-box. Once you get this D-box configured/patched as you like, you can, of course, use it to make a Golden Image for additional D-boxes.

One note of warning, if your D-box has any EISA cards that you want to use then your ONLY option is 32-bit HP-UX. No EISA cards are supported at 64-bit.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Read the cloning guidelines. It depends on how like the hardware is or isn't and the differences in kernels explained at http://www.interex.org/conference/hpworld2002/sessions/sn039/

In this case the kernels are different so you cannot clone. RP5430 = L1500
"Downtime is a Crime."
Christian Schulze
Regular Advisor

Hm,
I hoped that I would get other answers :-|

So it looks like I have to do a fresh install of all my various OS (10.20, 11.0, 11.11) and try to match the Patchlevels as close as possible.

I was/am so happy to have a complete two-node cluster for evaluation of new SW, preview rolling Upgrades etc.

Has anybody a good idea to "clone" my production-systems onto the D-Class ?

Christian
never touch a running system
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

I do have to agree that fresh install may be the best and clean way of doing it.

Read the attached PS: Key is " It is also important to note that certain D- and K-class systems will require a firmware upgrade to support 11.00 (64-bit)."

If you are going to fresh re-install the D, you can give it a try. As pointed to by Clay, you may get into trouble with your EISA cards.

I successfully cloned RP7400s image onto an RP8400. But I had to reinstall quite a few softwares to support the n-pars.

-Sri

PS:

//
How can I know whether I can install a 64-bit OS on a system?

When using the B.* version of Ignite-UX (which is capable of installing 11.00 64-bit OS), execute the following:

strings /opt/ignite/boot/INSTALLFS | grep 9000 | grep 64

This will produce a list of the known system models that are 64-bit capable. If the second value listed is 64, it can only run 64-bit. If it is 32/64, it can run either 32-bit or 64-bit. If the system model being installed is not there, it is limited to 32-bit only.

If you were only interested in one particular model (say a K370), execute the following:

strings /opt/ignite/boot/INSTALLFS | grep 9000 | grep 64 | grep K370

If nothing is output, then the model is limited to 32-bit installs only.

I It is also important to note that certain D- and K-class systems will require a firmware upgrade to support 11.00 (64-bit). Ignite-UX will inform you of this fact, but it can easily get lost amongst everything being logged. Check the install.log file just after the ioscan is done.

//
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Christian,

I'm afraid your "cloning" will have to be of the manual variety. Cold install the O/S, copy site specific configuation files (passwd, groups, hosts, hosts.equiv, resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf, profile, PATH - and any others you can think of), copy or reinstall software apps as required. That's the way I usually set up servers initially. It's not all that difficult once you get a handle on what local configurations you need to duplicate.

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

What will save you a bunch of time is to set up a dedicated network swdepot that has all the software packages and all (and only) those patches that are actually installed on your boxes to be cloned. You can then mark and swinstall many patches/packages at one shot. You should also have the kmtune output so that you can quickly alter the kernel tunables. If you have that then Cold Install to clone is at most a few hours. The non-vg00 stuff is most easily handled as a restore from a normal backup.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.