1753769 Members
5096 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Want to take the tape backup

thatiraju
Frequent Advisor

Want to take the tape backup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi GUYS,
I want to take ignite(TAPE) backup of one of my blade bl860c server running hp-ux 11.23 .
I dont have the provision to connect any external drive . I have one hp-ultrium MSL-4048 tape library which is configured with DP .
Is there to take ignite backup from the tape library .
The library is conneted to sanswitch throug FC
Regards.
Raju
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Want to take the tape backup

Since DataProtector is controlling the tape library, trying to use it at the same time will cause errors. You can configure DP to not use one of the drives. Then manually load a tape into the unused drive using the mc command. If you do not have more than one drive, you'll have to shutdown DataProtector (after unloading any tape in the drive), then manually load the tape with mc, run make_tape_recovery and then manually unload the tape.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
thatiraju
Frequent Advisor

hi Bill ,
That is right . i can disble the dp and take the backup of my server. But the thing is that my server is not showing any tape drive in ioscan -fnC tape or anywhere .
This server is just the client . I used to fire offline backups on this . It is not detecting any tape drives .( Some of my servers are showing the tapes which are conneted to san switch . Is there any confuguration which i need to do in sanswitch .

Thanks .
Narasimha raju
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>hi Bill ,
That is right . i can disble the dp and take the backup of my server. But the thing is that my server is not showing any tape drive in ioscan -fnC tape or anywhere .
This server is just the client . I used to fire offline backups on this . It is not detecting any tape drives .( Some of my servers are showing the tapes which are conneted to san switch . Is there any confuguration which i need to do in sanswitch .><<<

Hi ,

In refrences to you above post, you told that the server which you want to make Ignite backup, also connected to MSL 4048

ioscan -fnC tape should show you currently connected tape drive (if mentioned earlier by you which was confiugred under DP)

Things to do.

# insf -e
# ioscan -fnC tape --> check for the tape drive path which configured under DP.

or you can also check from which path is used to backup the mentioned Server.

disbale the backup Jobs running from DP for the mentioned server. so that it wouldn't clash with you Ignite backup or you choce to perform the Ignite backup after your DP backup as been completed.

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> This server is just the client . I used to fire offline backups on this . It is not detecting any tape drives .

This means there are no tape drives attached to your system and DP is running your backup over the network. To use the tape drive, you first need a fiber card in this server, then configure it in the SAN switch, and run ioscan and insf to create the device files. Talk to your SAN administrator about adding your server to the switch fabric.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

thatiraju
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,
As i am not having any fibrechannel cards in these systems ,i have taken my ignite backup on the ignite server . Thanks all you guys for your valuable replies .

Regards.
Raju